Weather live update: Careful driving needed to combat icy roads
A12/A14 SUFFOLK: Snow blowing off trucks and lorries was adding to problems for drivers on the icy main road arteries of Suffolk today.
With gritters having been out overnight, the main routes in and around Ipswich were largely clear.
But fine snow was blowing off trucks coming out of the Felixstowe port area – and leaving a dusting on the west-bound carriageway.
I watched at least half a dozen trucks, being used for the first time since Saturday’s snowfall, weaving their way along the A14 surrounded by their own “mini-blizzard”.
I also saw cars covered with snow, again making a first journey since Saturday night. Some drivers hadn’t bothered to clear snow off their vehicles and it too was blowing around.
You may also want to watch:
Police in Felixstowe have been spot-fining drivers with vehicles they say are not fit for the road, so car drivers and truckers beware – and get your vehicles cleaned off before setting off on journeys.
My journey into Ipswich from Felixstowe took ten minutes longer than normal – there is snow on some town roads but you should be ok on your journey to work.
- 1 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 2 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Kesgrave shooting trial: 'Good character cannot provide a defence'
- 5 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 6 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 7 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 8 302 complaints about dogs off lead in Christchurch Park
- 9 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
- 10 Did you see Status Quo at this Ipswich pub?
In the main, drivers are being sensible – which is good as a lot of patience will be needed.
More updates through the day.