Weather: Port still getting to grips with snow
FELIXSTOWE: Port operations at Felixstowe were still at a standstill today as workers struggled to clear snow and ice from the terminals.
Officials agreed that export boxes would be accepted for a time yesterday afternoon but this then ceased during the evening.
There have been no collection of imported containers for 24 hours.
Snow and ice clearance work took place throughout the night in sub-zero temperatures and the sutuation was due to be reassessed about 9am this morning.
“Heavy snow and Ice within the container stacks have forced a cease to all port operations,” said a port spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
“Ongoing efforts continue to clear further container stacking areas in an attempt to allow for the collection of import containers.”
Operation Stack was brought in for part of the day yesterday but most hauliers heeded warnings not to travel to the port, especially with road conditions bad all over the country.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Ipswich man wanted for theft and fraud offences
- 4 Man left with three broken ribs after assault by group of men in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Ipswich MP calls for urgent action after hospital maternity report
- 6 Two Suffolk centres offering walk-in Covid-19 vaccinations tomorrow
- 7 Man appears in court to face charges after Ipswich 'brawl'
- 8 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 9 Staff ‘burnt out and tearful’: Whistleblowers raise alarm over hospital maternity safety
- 10 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light