Were you at the Radio 1 Roadshow in Ipswich when boyband 911 performed in 1996?
- Credit: Archant
When the Radio 1 Roadshow came to Christchurch Park on May Day, 1996 there were thousands of music fans lining the barriers all jostling for a clear view of the popular DJs and bands.
In 1996 both mark Morrison and 911 performed for the 3,000-strong crowd, as well as Truce, Mary Kiani and Benz.
The free roadshow was an annual fixture in the music calendar between 1973 and 1999, with the event growing to more 50 dates in the latter years.
Most roadshows were held in coastal towns but it made several visits to Ipswich, with two trucks reversing tail-to-tail to create a huge stage frontage for the DJs and musical acts.
Originally, the vans would park up on the Cornhill in Ipswich but as the event grew, the decision was taken to relocate to Christchurch Park.
You may also want to watch:
In 1996, the roadshow was hosted by popular BBC presenter, Lisa I’Anson, who entertained crowds and included members of the public in games and competitions on stage.
Do you remember attending in 1996? Let us know if you recognise yourself amongst the thousands of people.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 3 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 8 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
- 9 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 10 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
The final old-style Roadshow was held at Heaton Park, Manchester in 1999. As part of reforms to the station, the Radio 1 Roadshow was axed in 2000 in favour of a series of one-day pop concerts, called One Big Sunday.
The station now hosts a single two-day event each year - Radio 1’s Big Weekend.
Let us know if you have any memorable moments from this Radio 1 Roadshow or any of the others that visited f.
Get in contact at via email
•Have you liked our new Ipswich Remembers Facebook page? We are posting regular updates showing some of the thousands of nostalgic images found in our archives and we would love to see your old photos of the town.