WATCH - Were you caught in freak snow shower in Suffolk today?
- Credit: Alasdair Ross
Freak showers of snow and sleet were breaking out across the area today - just as spring should be under way.
Video journalist Victoria Pertusa was driving into Ipswich on the A14 when a wintry shower struck between 10.30 and 11am, leaving snow and slush on her car windscreen.
“It was a mix of snow, sleet and rain,” she said. “It was not very heavy, but I feel for people who were walking in it - it must have been horrible.”
Ipswich MP Sandy Martin and Labour councillors were also caught up in the freak April shower, as was Conservative parliamentary candidate Tom Hunt, while campaigning today in Ipswich.
There was also a snow shower in Bury St Edmunds just before noon and one in Stowupland slightly later.
You may also want to watch:
Fred Best, forecaster at East Anglian-based Weatherquest, said: “A few of these showers are spreading in from the north, with wintry stuff, sleet, and hail and some snow.
“There is potential for it to continue through to the afternoon, but it will start to ease down later and into the evening.”
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 3 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 6 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 7 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 9 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
Mr Best said that when temperatures were very low in April there was potential for this type of wintry shower.
Temperatures in Suffolk dropped to well below freezing overnight – making it the coldest April night for six years.
Santon Downham, near Thetford, recorded one of the lowest overnight temperatures in the region on Friday through to Saturday of -4.3C.
Dan Holley, from Weatherquest, said that made it the coldest April night recorded since 2013.
• Did you take any photos or video of the sudden snow showers? Email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org