Wetherspoons applies once again to build new pub in Felixstowe
- Credit: Archant
National chain, JD Wetherspoons has re-applied to build a new pub on the site of a former doctor’s surgery.
The proposed new pub would be built on the former site of the Pharmacy at Central Surgery on Hamilton Road, close to the town’s train station.
As well as a licensed premises the plans include the creation of 24 new apartments on top of the development.
An application to demolish the former doctor’s surgery on the site was approved in August 2014 with permission being granted for a two storey public house.
A number of objections were raised to the original application including potential noise from those at the pub.
Since then the planning application on the site has lapsed forcing the company to reapply and leaving the land empty for several years.
A spokesperson for the company said: “We have submitted a new application on February 7 as we decided to change the scheme compared to what we previously had planning for.”
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
The new application varies greatly from the original in that it features four new upper floors which will contain 24 new one and two bed apartments.
The company say that the new pub will provide 50 new jobs to local people in what is describes as already being “an established urban area with all the facilities to support the local community.”
In the proposals’ design brief the company said that the new building would be similar in size to the Orwell Hotel which sits opposite the site: “The scale of the proposed building equates to the overall height and massing of the adjacent Orwell Hotel.
“This is believed to be appropriate, considering the scale and prominence of the existing hotel.”
The plans also include the retention of the mature trees currently on the site.
Wetherspoons do not currently have a pub in Felixstowe with the nearest locations being in either Ipswich or Harwich.
Mayor of Felixstowe, Nick Barber said that he was “pleased that at some stage it will be resolved” and described the current site as an “eyesore.”
He said that a new pub would be “adding to our economy.”
Felixstowe Town Council’s planning committee will be reviewing the plans on April 25 before they go to Suffolk Coastal District Council to decide.