Whale spotted in River Orwell
MARINE experts are currently searching the River Orwell following sightings of a whale.First sightings were reported at around 2pm today to the coastguard in the area of the Orwell Bridge.
MARINE experts are currently searching the River Orwell following sightings of a whale.
First sightings were reported at around 2pm today to the coastguard in the area of the Orwell Bridge.
The coastguard alerted the British Divers Marine Life Rescue group which sent a representative to investigate the sightings.
The whale was spotted several times in the area under the bridge, before heading toward Ipswich Waterfront.
You may also want to watch:
An expert from the marine life rescue group was taken aboard a local yacht and spent time observing the whale.
The whale was thought to be a northern bottlenose. It was not known if it was ill or has lost its way.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
The rescue group is mobilising a team with a boat, generators and lighting in case the whale beaches itself or becomes stranded and a rescue operation needs to be mounted tonight.
See this website for further updates.