White vans go mad
BANGER racing with a difference is taking place at Foxhall Stadium on Monday as competitors take to the track in a variety of different vans.Among them will be a specially decorated Evening Star van driven by the fearless Kevin Thurlow.
BANGER racing with a difference is taking place at Foxhall Stadium on Monday as competitors take to the track in a variety of different vans.
Among them will be a specially decorated Evening Star van driven by the fearless Kevin Thurlow.
Kevin has almost 15 years experience of banger racing but is more often found racing cars.
He said: "The last time I raced in a van must have been about ten years ago but I'm looking forward to it. It should be good fun."
You may also want to watch:
Previous years have seen ambulances and ice-cream vans battling for pole position so Kevin looks set to be in for an interesting ride.
Also taking place at Monday afternoon's meeting is a National Hot Rods World Final Qualifier.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 6 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 7 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 8 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 9 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 10 Go-ahead secured for new hotel near Ipswich Town ground
Heats will be taking place up and down the country over the coming months but only 20 cars will make it through.
Nick Thomas, stadium manager, said: "This is going to be a particularly interesting year as we have such a lot of good drivers competing for the top places.
"It's usually fairly easy to predict who will end up qualifying but the standard of drivers this year means there are bound to be some surprises."
At 2.30pm 30 cars will compete for the prestigious places as they race round 75 laps of the Foxhall bowl.
All local eyes will be on Ipswich star Carl Boardley and his Peugeot 206. Boardley's recent performances make him a genuine candidate for World Final honours come July.
Lightning Rods will also be racing during the afternoon. With over 30 cars out on the 1/4 mile race track at once, nail-biting tension is guaranteed. Top names racing include Mark Cooper, Diggy Smith and Stowmarket's Darren Goudy.