White vans go mad
BANGER racing with a difference is taking place at Foxhall Stadium on Monday as competitors take to the track in a variety of different vans.Among them will be a specially decorated Evening Star van driven by the fearless Kevin Thurlow.
BANGER racing with a difference is taking place at Foxhall Stadium on Monday as competitors take to the track in a variety of different vans.
Among them will be a specially decorated Evening Star van driven by the fearless Kevin Thurlow.
Kevin has almost 15 years experience of banger racing but is more often found racing cars.
He said: "The last time I raced in a van must have been about ten years ago but I'm looking forward to it. It should be good fun."
You may also want to watch:
Previous years have seen ambulances and ice-cream vans battling for pole position so Kevin looks set to be in for an interesting ride.
Also taking place at Monday afternoon's meeting is a National Hot Rods World Final Qualifier.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 3 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 6 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 7 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 8 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 9 Man accused of stealing phone from woman in Ipswich street
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
Heats will be taking place up and down the country over the coming months but only 20 cars will make it through.
Nick Thomas, stadium manager, said: "This is going to be a particularly interesting year as we have such a lot of good drivers competing for the top places.
"It's usually fairly easy to predict who will end up qualifying but the standard of drivers this year means there are bound to be some surprises."
At 2.30pm 30 cars will compete for the prestigious places as they race round 75 laps of the Foxhall bowl.
All local eyes will be on Ipswich star Carl Boardley and his Peugeot 206. Boardley's recent performances make him a genuine candidate for World Final honours come July.
Lightning Rods will also be racing during the afternoon. With over 30 cars out on the 1/4 mile race track at once, nail-biting tension is guaranteed. Top names racing include Mark Cooper, Diggy Smith and Stowmarket's Darren Goudy.