Who's begging letter?
WE all get sent circular letters.Many of us refer to them as “junk mail” - but when I got my latest begging letter from the RSPCA sent to my home, I couldn't help smiling.
WE all get sent circulars letters.
Many of us refer to them as “junk mail” - but when I got my latest begging letter from the RSPCA sent to my home, I couldn't help smiling.
My family is on the RSPCA's database because we have supported them before - but the latest letter sent to our home wasn't addressed to me, or anyone else in our home.
It was sent to someone that has no connection with our home - apart from the fact that he tends to visit it once a week every spring and makes a special appearance on Christmas Day!
The RSPCA addressed the letter to “Dr S Who” and it began: Dear Dr Who . . .
It was an appeal for money to help abandoned animals, but I couldn't help wondering what kind of animals should be helped.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
Would the RSPCA be extending its care to ensure that K-9 was kept in fine fettle?
I rang the charity to find out what had happened. Had the letter been delivered in the wrong dimension? Could I expect to find an old police box landing in our garden to pick it up?
The RSPCA press officer laughed when I rang up to ask about the letter.
“It must be a system error,” he said.
“Not a Galifray System error, I hope,” I replied.
“I'm sure it was just a glitch in the computer - we may have a Dr S Who on our database somewhere and it was sent in error to you,” he said.
“But it does sound quite funny - while many people in the RSPCA may be fans of K-9 we don't see protecting him as a priority for us,” the spokesman added.
The BBC said it was unable to comment - and the Doctor himself could not be contacted because he is currently dealing with an alien race in a different dimension!
However if he wants to pick up his mail, he only needs to bring the Tardis down in Ipswich and I can make sure he gets the letter!
Dr Who's animal encounters:
The Cat People on new earth.
Pigslaves - created by the daleks.
Mutant Rhino security guards.
Pigs created by the Slitheen in Downing Street.
In previous incarnations he's battled with the Yeti, giant spiders, and the fish people.