Ipswich Waterfront bauble tree fails to light up on time leaving fans disappointed
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich’s bauble Christmas tree that has divided residents in the town for several years failed to light up at the right time last night.
Families gathered to watch the switch-on, which was due to happen at 7pm when the real tree on the Cornhill was illuminated, but were left disappointed.
Council chiefs apologised for the delay in turning the tree on – a timer fault caused it to light up at 8.30pm, an hour and a half later.
One bauble tree fan said: “Several families with small children came down to see it and had to leave disappointed.
“Such a shame after all the effort that went into setting the tree up.”
Around 5,000 people – one of the biggest crowds ever seen for a Christmas lights switch-on event in Ipswich – turned out on the Cornhill last night.
Representatives for Ipswich Borough Council said: “The lights on the Waterfront Christmas tree did go on yesterday evening but we apologise that it was a little later than planned.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 5 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 6 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 7 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 8 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 9 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 10 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
“We were delighted with the turn-out on the Cornhill, when around 5,000 people turned up to greet the return of a real tree.
“This was one of the biggest switch-on events we’ve had for many years and we are glad we now have two trees for people to enjoy.”