Why we cannot name the louts
THESE two youths have caused mayhem across their Suffolk community.As they left the youth court in Ipswich after admitting damaging vehicles to await sentencing next month, their gestures showed contempt for the legal system, the community they abuse and the law-abiding citizens of the town.
THESE two youths have caused mayhem across their Suffolk community.
As they left the youth court in Ipswich after admitting damaging vehicles to await sentencing next month, their gestures showed contempt for the legal system, the community they abuse and the law-abiding citizens of the town.
But because of their age, they continue to be protected from the public shame that should be theirs. The law says they cannot be named – yet.
The Evening Star has already verbally requested a lifting of the ban on identification – Section 49 of the Children and Young Persons Act of 1933 – and this has been recorded by the court.
You may also want to watch:
When the pair of louts return to court on August 8 for sentencing this request will be formalised in writing before South East Suffolk magistrates.
The teenagers admitted damaging two vehicles each and one of them admitted assault.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 8 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 9 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
- 10 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
Michael Stevenson, defending one of the youths, said his client had a long history of criminality but said violence was not a part of it.
The court heard that a gang of youths had gathered in the early evening of October 22 last year and damaged four vehicles on Bader Close and Lindbergh Road in the Priory Heath area of Ipswich. An Ipswich Borough Council Mercedes van, a Renault, a Vauxhall Astra and a Ford Granada were all attacked. More than £1,000 of damage was caused.
These crimes are the latest the pair have been involved with and we believe they should be identified as soon as possible.
For the benefit of the people of Ipswich and with the help of the courts, the Star has been able to name some persistent young troublemakers who have had anti-social behaviour orders made against them.
The Star will be pursuing the court to name these two and show them in their true light - in the interests of the people of Ipswich.
WHAT do you think? Should these young persistent criminals be named and shamed?