Orwell Bridge ‘unlikely to close’ in today’s strong winds – but experts are monitoring the situation
- Credit: MICK WEBB
Strong winds with gusts of up to 40mph are due to batter Suffolk and north Essex today, but will the Orwell Bridge shut?
Highways England say it is unlikely the bridge will close at the moment, as the winds are below the normal threshold of 60mph.
A spokesman for the agency said: "There are no current plans to close the bridge, but we will be continuing to monitor the situation throughout the day."
It comes as weather forecasters are predicting a mild but windy start for the east of England.
MORE: Why does the Orwell Bridge have to close in high winds?"Rain will push from the northwest, and be heavy and persistent at times," Weatherquest experts said.
"Fresh to strong southwesterly winds are expected, easing later. Maximum temperature expected to be 16C."
You may also want to watch:
The Met Office said there could be strong gales, and heavy rain could hit mid afternoon which may cause flooding on local roads.
The Severn Bridge, which connects England with Wales, is currently shut due to strong winds - the west of the country has amber and yellow warnings in place for rain.
- 1 Teenager arrested after man suffers cut to neck on Ipswich estate
- 2 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 3 Anger at parking fines for butcher, barber and carpet fitter shoppers
- 4 Meet the strongest 40+ English woman, a teacher from Ipswich
- 5 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 6 Roadworks held up by parked Mini
- 7 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 8 Police cordon off section of Ipswich residential street
- 9 Man sent obscene online messages to two 'decoy' schoolgirls while on drugs
- 10 Chris Louis big Q&A: What now for the Witches? What now for speedway?