Will's dedication shines through
You can't get much more dedicated to training than Woodbridge's 15-year-old triathlete Will Meadows. The Farlingaye High School pupil has matched one of the most physically demanding sports with an equally demanding, self-imposed, training schedule.
You can't get much more dedicated to training than Woodbridge's 15-year-old triathlete Will Meadows.
The Farlingaye High School pupil has matched one of the most physically demanding sports with an equally demanding, self-imposed, training schedule.
As part of acclimatising to the open water that he has to swim in during competition Meadows is often training in a river as early as six in the morning.
During the winter that can mean cracking the ice on the surface first before getting in and fighting off the swans during his swim.
You may also want to watch:
To work on his track cycling Meadows has to travel as far as Welwyn Garden City, Manchester and Newport.
At the peak of preparations for a big competition Meadows allows himself just one full rest day - and that is only because he was told to.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 9 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Speaking last year Meadows said: “I used to train for longer and longer and more often in the evenings to achieve success. Now I have learnt to do less training but be more focused when I train.
“My non sporting friends laugh when I say today is my rest day. Rest is part of my training and I know now it makes sense.”
As well as competing in triathlon, Meadows competes in all three of the separate disciplines of swimming, running and cycling.
A member of the Norwich-based Tri-Anglia Triathlon Club, Ipswich Bicycle Club and Felixstowe Road Runners, Meadows has secured top sponsorship deals in the past couple of years from Team Tri UK, who supply his bike, and hydration drink manufacturers Gatorade.