Orwell Bridge expected to CLOSE this evening
- Credit: Archant
Highways England are expecting to close the Orwell Bridge from around 8pm this evening due to high winds.
The agency have been monitoring wind speeds throughout the day as strong gusts hit the east coast.
With wind speeds of around 60mph predicted for this evening they believe that it will become necessary to close the bridge until around midnight.
A spokesman for Highways England said: “Highways England is advising road users in the East of England that the Orwell Bridge in Suffolk is likely to close at 8pm this evening for safety reasons, due to high winds.
“Once closed, Highways England will continue to monitor wind speeds closely before making a decision about when to reopen the A14 bridge.
“The worst of the weather is expected between 10pm and midnight but wind speeds will be assessed throughout this period with the bridge expected to reopen at midnight.”
Once the bridge is closed the diversion route will take drivers via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 3 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 4 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 5 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 6 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 7 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 8 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 9 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
Drivers are being advised to also give high sided vehicles, caravans, motorbikes, and bicycles plenty of space in the meantime.
Follow us for further updates on this story throughout the evening.