Will you be in Ipswich town centre for the Christmas lights switch on tonight?
- Credit: citizenside.com
Tonight is the night the festive season officially arrives in Ipswich with the switch-on of the town’s Christmas lights.
It is also the first of the town’s late-night shopping evenings and the big switch-on will be held on the steps of the Town Hall on the Cornhill at about 6.30pm.
The event will be hosted by BBC Radio Suffolk’s Etholle George – and the lights will be switched on by mayor Glen Chisholm, assisted by members of the cast of the Regent’s Christmas Pantomime, Aladdin.
There will be strict control of numbers on the Cornhill itself for the big switch-on, but the event will be broadcast on a big screen at Giles Circus.
The lights – and modern Christmas tree – have once again been provided in association with Ipswich Central, which represents retailers and other businesses in the heart of the town.
Ipswich Central chief executive Paul Clement said: “The borough’s festive lights switch-on starts off Christmas and, this year, kicks off late-night shopping.
You may also want to watch:
“Ipswich Central was pleased to help fund the town’s lighting scheme on behalf of our 625 members and we hope that our retailers can look forward to a successful trading period.”
Will you be there? Share your photos with us on twitter using #IpswichLights
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea