Window smash refugee jailed
A KURDISH refugee who shattered a window at the Ipswich YMCA out of frustration after sleeping rough, was sentenced to over an hour extra in custody.Peshriw Abdullah appeared from custody at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court and admitted damaging the window.
By Amanda Cresswell
A KURDISH refugee who shattered a window at the Ipswich YMCA out of frustration after sleeping rough, was sentenced to over an hour extra in custody.
Peshriw Abdullah appeared from custody at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court and admitted damaging the window.
Ian Pells, prosecuting, said ex-resident Abdullah was at the YMCA in Wellington Street on Thursday lashed out with his fist at the window dividing reception from the public area.
The court heard the 19-year-old was living in the YMCA before he was evicted so he slept out in the open.
He went back to get his possessions – which still haven't been returned to him – so he hit out at the window in frustration on Thursday (10).
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
Magistrates said Abdullah had already spent time in custody since his arrest so gave him a short while longer in the cells.
They added there was no order for costs or compensation because of his lack of means.