Window smash refugee jailed
A KURDISH refugee who shattered a window at the Ipswich YMCA out of frustration after sleeping rough, was sentenced to over an hour extra in custody.Peshriw Abdullah appeared from custody at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court and admitted damaging the window.
By Amanda Cresswell
A KURDISH refugee who shattered a window at the Ipswich YMCA out of frustration after sleeping rough, was sentenced to over an hour extra in custody.
Peshriw Abdullah appeared from custody at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court and admitted damaging the window.
Ian Pells, prosecuting, said ex-resident Abdullah was at the YMCA in Wellington Street on Thursday lashed out with his fist at the window dividing reception from the public area.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard the 19-year-old was living in the YMCA before he was evicted so he slept out in the open.
He went back to get his possessions – which still haven't been returned to him – so he hit out at the window in frustration on Thursday (10).
- 1 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 2 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 3 Delays expected at A14 Copdock Interchange
- 4 Fire marshals to patrol Waterfront block 24/7 and balconies could be removed
- 5 Burglars crept into Ipswich home while occupant was inside
- 6 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 7 'I love it' –shoppers and retailers hope Ipswich street closure is here to stay
- 8 Ipswich street closure could be made permanent under consultation plans
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Rogue trader steals money after offering to repair car
Magistrates said Abdullah had already spent time in custody since his arrest so gave him a short while longer in the cells.
They added there was no order for costs or compensation because of his lack of means.