Neighbours tell of family’s frantic escape from burning home
PUBLISHED: 11:57 06 June 2019 | UPDATED: 14:09 06 June 2019
An eye-witness who was woken up by the screams of her neighbours as they were escaping a major house fire in Ipswich has recounted the first moments of the ordeal.
Rosie Miller-Clark lives in Radcliffe Drive, just a few doors down from a house which was gutted by a devastating house fire early this morning.
Shortly after 3am, Miss Miller-Clark was woken by the screams of her neighbours, calling for help as the fire gripped their house.
She said: "I sleep in the back of our house and I heard her scream 'Help, help help. I need help the house is on fire'."
"When I came outside the mum was on the flat roof of the house.
"She had jumped from the loft window and we had to run and get a ladder as she was stuck on there.
"All of the kids managed to get out, I think one of them had to jump out of the window as well."
The neighbours rallied to get clothes for the family.
-Donate to the Go Fund Me page set up for the family
The fire service were called and four fire crews and a specialist aerial unit used hoses to tackle the fire which seriously damaged the semi-detached house.
A woman and three children were taken to hospital by ambulance after being treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Fortunately their injuries to dot appear to be serious.
Miss Miller-Clark said: "They were all fine. Really upset but all OK.
"The house was absolutely alight, I've never seen anything like it. It was unbelievable.
"Other people around the back of the house heard bangs as well coming from it."
She continued: "I feel so sorry for them. They have lost everything. But, everyone is fine and that's the important thing.
"It was their screaming that will stay with me."
Firefighters remain on scene removing roof tiles and dampening down.
Station Commander Carolyn Crabb said: "We are going to stay here until we are sure that the fire is out and then there will be a fire investigation taking place.
"We believe that the residents had a smoke alarm and while we haven't confirmed this, it could have helped alert them to the fire."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.