Woman charged with theft after tiff
A woman who refused to phone in sick for an Ipswich supermarket cashier was charged with theft from the shop. Susan Brooks, 40, of Morgan Drive had become friendly with Asda cashier Beverly Astley and would often phone in sick for her when Astley needed time off work, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
A woman who refused to phone in sick for an Ipswich supermarket cashier was charged with theft from the shop.
Susan Brooks, 40, of Morgan Drive had become friendly with Asda cashier Beverly Astley and would often phone in sick for her when Astley needed time off work, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
However Brooks decided she could no longer help the woman and told her she would not keep making the telephone calls.
The court heard that Brooks' boyfriend Michael Hewitt, 30, who lived with her had passed through the checkout operated by Astley and was charged £19.14 despite the fact that his shopping included a £45 bottle of champagne and a £30 pair of trainers.
You may also want to watch:
Just two days later on October 12 last year, Brooks had been shopping with Hewitt but had left the store following an argument with Hewitt and he took the purchases through Astley's check out alone.
This time Hewitt was allegedly charged £14.67 for goods worth £220 including a DVD player. Hewitt and Brooks told the court Hewitt had never met Astley before and had not known about the women's friendship.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 10 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
Astley, 41 of Downside Close and Hewitt have denied two charges of theft Brooks has denied one offence of theft.
The trial continues.