Woman relives terrifying moment
A 25-YEAR-OLD woman has told of the terrifying moment she fought off a knife-wielding robber who confronted her in broad daylight in a town centre.Stowmarket woman Heather Murkin, a health care assistant who cares for the elderly, suffered cuts to her face after she was attacked during a shopping trip in the town.
A 25-YEAR-OLD woman has told of the terrifying moment she fought off a knife-wielding robber who confronted her in broad daylight in a town centre.
Stowmarket woman Heather Murkin, a health care assistant who cares for the elderly, suffered cuts to her face after she was attacked during a shopping trip in the town.
Miss Murkin was confronted in the Old Fox Yard, just off the main thoroughfare in Stowmarket. She was grabbed by the arm from behind by a man who then tried to snatch her purse.
The woman resisted and the attacker drew out a knife. As she resisted she suffered two cuts to her face, but managed to get away.
Miss Murkin said: "I was just going into F1 Return, the computer shop, and someone grabbed my left arm and pulled me into an alleyway.
"I had my purse in my left hand and then I realised someone was trying to take it from me. I just thought 'no way' and kicked him.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 8 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 9 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 10 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
"But he pulled a knife out of his pocket and I just fought back. He tried to stab me in the chest and I kneed him.
"He cut my face with the knife, but went down on to the floor. I kicked him and ran, he did not manage to get anything from me.
"It was really nerve wracking, scary and I just can't believe it happened in Stowmarket in the middle of the day.''
Miss Murkin is appealing for anyone who can help the police trace the attacker to contact officers.
Police, who released details of the crime on Wednesday, said the incident happened sometime between 12.30pm and 12.50pm on Wednesday last week.
A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: "We have made no arrest at this time and are appeal for any witnesses to the incident to come forward, or anyone who was in the area at the time to contact us.''
Anyone with any information about the incident should contact officers on 01284 774100 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.