Woman sexually assaulted after pitying man in Stowmarket
- Credit: Archant
A 20-year-old woman was dragged behind garages in Stowmarket and sexually assaulted by a 21-year-old man, a court has heard.
Tommy Rooney approached the woman at around midday on June 17 and asked her for a hug, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The woman had difficulty understanding what he was saying and although she thought he was “a bit strange” she didn’t feel threatened by him.
She agreed to give Rooney a hug because she felt sorry for him but when she tried to pull away he held on to her and dragged her to the ground before taking her behind some garages, said Peter Clark, prosecuting.
He had then pulled down the woman’s trousers and pants and sexually assaulted her.
She shouted for help and tried to fight him off and the incident, which happened on a footpath between Windermere Road and Curwen Road, ended when a passer by arrived on the scene and called the police.
Rooney, formerly of Felixstowe, but now living in Market Harborough, was found to be unfit to stand trial on Monday after a judge heard medical evidence from three experts about his hearing problems and ability to take part in a trial.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 6 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 7 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 8 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 10 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
Yesterday a jury heard evidence in the case and found that Rooney had sexually touched the woman.
Sentence was adjourned until next month.