Women prepare for Great North Run
A STUDENT from Ipswich is really pushing the boat out to tackle a gruelling half marathon tomorrow.Despite having never taken part in a road race, Libby Makinson is preparing to complete the Great North Run - dressed as a lifeboat.
A STUDENT from Ipswich is really pushing the boat out to tackle a gruelling half marathon tomorrow.
Despite having never taken part in a road race, Libby Makinson is preparing to complete the Great North Run - dressed as a lifeboat.
The 23-year-old, of Winston Avenue, will don an inflatable costume to raise money for the RNLI, which came to her twin brother's aid when the yacht he was sailing on ran aground two years ago.
Miss Makinson, who is studying architecture at Newcastle University, said: “I feel really excited. It will be a big challenge but a lot of fun.
You may also want to watch:
Another Suffolk woman is also gearing up to join 50,000 other fundraisers for the BUPA event in Newcastle after overcoming a brain haemorrhage and stroke.
Rachel Cooper, of Mear Close, Sutton, near Woodbridge, was just 29 when she suffered the frightening experience while her husband Paul, of the Royal Engineers, was in Iraq.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 4 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 5 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 6 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 7 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 8 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 9 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
Five years on, Mrs Cooper has made a full recovery and has since had two children - Cailey, five, and Casey, three.
She said: “I got to the stage where I found it very difficult to accept people's help - I needed to prove to people I was still Rachel.”
If you would like to sponsor Miss Makinson, please visit www.justgiving.com/libbymakinson.
Anyone who would like to support Mrs Cooper's fundraising efforts can e-mail: email@example.com.