Woodbridge party got ‘out of control’ and closed by police due to uninvited guests, say organisers

Woodbridge Community Hall

Woodbridge Community Hall

Organisers behind a party shut down by police in Woodbridge over the weekend have said it got out of control after word spread of the event on social media.

The event at Woodbridge Community Hall was organised by former Suffolk New College pupil Byron Hand and friend Aaron Smith to celebrate the end of exams for students at the college and Farlingaye High School.

However, up to 300 people are said to have attended, with some uninvited guests said to have started fights at the venue.

Police received complaints about the party and attended at around 9pm. The party was closed soon after.

“We had people coming in from all areas,” said Mr Smith. “The security officer was heavily outnumbered, but even so the party was great...no trouble until a group of uninvited guests turned up and started turning the night around.

“The guests started fighting and it all became out of hand and us as the organisers couldn’t handle it ourselves.

“Police turned up to the scene to clear everyone off and empty the hall, and then one of the lads who started the fight started to hit a couple of the girls and it all kicked off.

Most Read

“As the groups dispersed, fighting occurred [in] the car park and the train station.

“Instead of removing the violent unwanted guests from the party they had made a decision to shut us down, costing Byron and his brother hundreds (of pounds).”

However, Suffolk police have said that they received no reports of any assaults when they attended, and encouraged anyone who felt they had been a victim of assault on the night to come forward.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “Police attended following reports of disturbances at this private party. Complaints about noise from the sound system were also received.

“On officer attendance no one came forward to make any formal complaint of assault and, following liaison at the scene with the organiser of the event, it became clear there were several safety issues, due to the number of people on the site.

“The option of closing down the event was discussed with the organiser who agreed to this course of action.

“Police received a further call just after 10pm to reports of a disturbance at Woodbridge Railway Station. Again officers attended and the group was dispersed but there were no complaints forthcoming.

“If anyone wishes to report an assault police can be contacted by dialling 101.”

To read the previous story from the weekend here