Woolverstone drink-driver banned for second time

Drink driver in court

Drink driver in court - Credit: Archant

Two drink-drivers have been banned from the road after appearing before Ipswich magistrates.

Douglas Seago, of Main Road, Woolverstone, pleaded guilty to his second drink-drive offence in eight years when he appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates Court.

The 64-year-old was caught in a Jaguar XKR Convertible on The Strand at Wherstead on August 16.

Prosecutor Tamzin Sharp said police received information a male had been drinking in a pub and was getting back into a green convertible before driving off towards Shotley.

Officers saw the vehicle on The Strand.

The Jaguar stopped in a layby and Seago got out of the driver’s side and went to the passenger side to talk to a female.

When an officer spoke to him Seago admitted he had consumed two drinks earlier in the evening.

Most Read

A roadside breath test proved positive and he was arrested.

A subsequent test showed he had 50 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Magistrates were told Seago had a previous drink-drive conviction in 2007.

Seago, representing himself, told the court: “I have complete remorse for having broken the law.”

He said he had been in the process of taking his partner home after she had been taken ill during a meal at the Oyster Reach public house.

He admitted he knew he had consumed alcohol but his main concern was for the comfort of his partner and her well-being.

Seago added he had not eaten all day and had only eaten some of his meal at the pub before having to leave.

He said: “I don’t condone what I did. I did break the law, but I must admit I was preoccupied.”

Seago was banned from driving for 36 months and must pay a total of £435 in fines and costs.

In a separate case Hezekiah Okoh, of Bromley, Kent was disqualified from driving for 12 months and must pay a total of £1,165.

The 41-year-old admitted drink-driving and possessing cocaine at 1.30am on August 8 in Fore Street, Ipswich.

A breath test showed the walkie-talkie sales executive had 49mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath.