Woolverstone: Vandals target village team’s pitch with 4x4
VANDALS ran riot on a village football club’s ptich casting a shadow of doubt over this weekend’s fixture.
Woolverstone United Football Club’s changing rooms were broken into and a vehicle was driven over the pitch, carving up the turf.
Secretary David Hazelwood said: “Someone drove onto the pitch and ploughed it up with a 4x4. It’s made a hell of a mess and will take a long time for the marks to come out.”
The Kingsley Healthcare Suffolk and Ipswich Football League Division Four team is due to play at home against Stradbroke United on Saturday and Mr Hazelwood is hoping the pitch will be fit to play on, if the weather allows him to carry out work.
“I’m going to get the roller on it so hopefully no-one will be able to tell the difference,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“If I can do that there shouldn’t be any problem with it for Saturday’s game. Mr Hazelwood said other teams had experienced similar problems so the club was not alone.
“The damage looks a lot worse than it actually is,” he added. “If you skid on wet grass it’s going to blacken the top.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
The break-in and criminal damage happened overnight between Sunday and Monday.
A Suffolk police spokeswoman confirmed the incident had been reported and that “considerable damage” had been caused. Anyone with information should call Pcso Jo Adams, from the Babergh East Safer Neighbourhood Team, on 101.
n Do you have a story for the newsteam? Call 01473 324790 or e-mail email@example.com