Woolverstone: Vandals target village team’s pitch with 4x4
VANDALS ran riot on a village football club’s ptich casting a shadow of doubt over this weekend’s fixture.
Woolverstone United Football Club’s changing rooms were broken into and a vehicle was driven over the pitch, carving up the turf.
Secretary David Hazelwood said: “Someone drove onto the pitch and ploughed it up with a 4x4. It’s made a hell of a mess and will take a long time for the marks to come out.”
The Kingsley Healthcare Suffolk and Ipswich Football League Division Four team is due to play at home against Stradbroke United on Saturday and Mr Hazelwood is hoping the pitch will be fit to play on, if the weather allows him to carry out work.
“I’m going to get the roller on it so hopefully no-one will be able to tell the difference,” he said.
“If I can do that there shouldn’t be any problem with it for Saturday’s game. Mr Hazelwood said other teams had experienced similar problems so the club was not alone.
“The damage looks a lot worse than it actually is,” he added. “If you skid on wet grass it’s going to blacken the top.”
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
The break-in and criminal damage happened overnight between Sunday and Monday.
A Suffolk police spokeswoman confirmed the incident had been reported and that “considerable damage” had been caused. Anyone with information should call Pcso Jo Adams, from the Babergh East Safer Neighbourhood Team, on 101.
n Do you have a story for the newsteam? Call 01473 324790 or e-mail email@example.com