Work dies in gym
A PORTWORKER died today after apparently suffering a heart attack while exercising in a gym.Paramedics based at Felixstowe port tried to resuscitate the man after he collapsed while working out on a treadmill.
A PORTWORKER died today after apparently suffering a heart attack while exercising in a gym.
Paramedics based at Felixstowe port tried to resuscitate the man after he collapsed while working out on a treadmill.
A port spokeswoman said the worker had been exercising at the container terminal's gym and fitness centre when he became ill.
He was running on the treadmill at 8.05am when he apparently suffered what is believed to have been a cardiac arrest.
A port ambulance crew immediately attended and tried to resuscitate the man – who has not yet been named – but this was ineffective. He was taken to Ipswich Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
The worker's family had been informed of his death.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 2 Fire breaks out in café near Ipswich town centre
- 3 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 4 Hopes Summertime Ipswich firework display will go ahead
- 5 Car carrying three passengers not wearing seatbelts stopped on A12
- 6 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 7 New doughnut and coffee chain opening in Ipswich shopping centre
- 8 Pride as Ipswich A Level students celebrate results
- 9 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 10 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
The state-of-the-art gym at the port – housed in buildings near the Dock Basin – was opened a few years ago and is run by the occupational health department.
The fitness studio is professionally staffed and has all the latest equipment and is available for port employees from 6.30am to 9.30pm daily.
The occupational health department runs a health service including health screening and dealing with welfare problems, counselling and physiotherapy, and first aid.