World Cup wonder tops wanted list
IPSWICH Town have targeted Philippe Troussier in their quest for a new manager.The 47-year-old Frenchman is one of football's best-known coaches after leading Japan in this year's World Cup finals.
By Mel Henderson
IPSWICH Town have targeted Philippe Troussier in their quest for a new manager.
The 47-year-old Frenchman is one of football's best-known coaches after leading Japan in this year's World Cup finals.
The news is sure to cause a stir with supporters anxious to know who will succeed George Burley, who was axed last week.
You may also want to watch:
A top French source confirmed today: "I know Troussier has been contacted by Ipswich. They have definitely approached him to see if he would join them."
But the highly respected Troussier, who has also coached the Ivory Coast, Nigerian, Burkina Faso and South African national sides, is very much in demand.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
He was on the wanted list of both Algeria and China, while he was interviewed for the job of French national coach before the appointment of Jacques Santini.
Troussier would command a sizeable salary – but he would also open the door to Far East imports, guaranteeing Ipswich huge commercial spin-offs from a football-mad part of the world.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR