World Cup wonder tops wanted list
IPSWICH Town have targeted Philippe Troussier in their quest for a new manager.The 47-year-old Frenchman is one of football's best-known coaches after leading Japan in this year's World Cup finals.
By Mel Henderson
IPSWICH Town have targeted Philippe Troussier in their quest for a new manager.
The 47-year-old Frenchman is one of football's best-known coaches after leading Japan in this year's World Cup finals.
The news is sure to cause a stir with supporters anxious to know who will succeed George Burley, who was axed last week.
A top French source confirmed today: "I know Troussier has been contacted by Ipswich. They have definitely approached him to see if he would join them."
But the highly respected Troussier, who has also coached the Ivory Coast, Nigerian, Burkina Faso and South African national sides, is very much in demand.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 9 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 10 Men charged with heroin and crack cocaine offences in Ipswich
He was on the wanted list of both Algeria and China, while he was interviewed for the job of French national coach before the appointment of Jacques Santini.
Troussier would command a sizeable salary – but he would also open the door to Far East imports, guaranteeing Ipswich huge commercial spin-offs from a football-mad part of the world.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR