World’s top cyclists to compete in Tour of Britain - heading through Ipswich on September 8
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich is set to cheer the superstars of cycling though the town next month as stage six of this year’s OVO Energy Tour of Britain powers through Suffolk.
Thousands are expected to line the course on September 8 as the world’s top cyclists make their way from Newmarket to Aldeburgh as part of the gruelling 187km stage.
All of the top five teams in the current world rankings have now announced they are taking part in the race including Team Katasha- Alpecin’s Olympic medal winning Alexander Kristoff and his teammate, World Time Trial Champion Tony Martin.
Britain’s top sprinter Mark Cavendish is also set to compete, returning from injury after the Tour de France, as will Team Sky’s pursuit gold Olympic medallist Geraint Thomas.
A Great Britain national team will also be taking part in the race.
You may also want to watch:
Alexander Kristoff said: “The Tour of Britain is not only a perfect race in my build up to the World Championships, I will also try and win some stages.
“I took my Olympic medal in London as well as the victory in last week’s RideLondon-Surrey Classic WorldfTour race.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
“I really look forward to participating in the OVO Energy Tour of Britain.”
Race director Mick Bennett said: “We are delighted with this year’s line-up of teams for the OVO Energy Tour of Britain and with riders of the calibre of Geraint Thomas, Mark Cavendish and Alexander Kristoff coming out to say they will be targeting the OVO Energy Tour of Britain, this bodes well for a fantastic spectacle for fans at the roadside and watching at home on television.”
Stage six’s route will see the peloton pedal from Newmarket, through Bury St Edmunds towards Framlingham, then south through Wickham Market and Grundisburgh before passing through Ipswich, Kesgrave, Woodbridge and Snape on its way to the finishing line at Aldeburgh.
Johnny Clay, British Cycling’s director of cycling said: “This stellar line-up of riders again reinforces the regard in which the OVO Tour of Britain is held among the world’s best riders and teams.
“We are extremely proud that, yet again, some of the most recognisable faces in out sport will be acing on British roads, inspiring the next generation of cyclists.”