Worst building in Suffolk poll revealed
IPSWICH Borough Council's new home has been voted the third ugliest building in the county in a Suffolk Preservation Society poll.However, the winner in the first Worst of the East competition was Belvedere Road Retail Park in Lowestoft, which has been unoccupied since it was completed more than a year ago.
IPSWICH Borough Council's new home has been voted the third ugliest building in the county in a Suffolk Preservation Society poll.
However, the winner in the first Worst of the East competition was Belvedere Road Retail Park in Lowestoft, which has been unoccupied since it was completed more than a year ago.
The park, owned by Asda was even described as a 'mish mash'.
It drew 750 of the 2084 votes cast in the online poll run by both the Society and BBC Radio Suffolk - representing 36 per cent of the total.
The Cineworld complex in Bury St. Edmunds finished second receiving 688 votes (33pc), while Ipswich borough's offices finished third with 417 'backers'.
Fourth and fifth were the KFC in Newton Road, Sudbury with 146 votes and the Thoroughfare building in Woodbridge with 83.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 6 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 8 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 9 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 10 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
Richard Ward, director of the Suffolk Preservation Society said: “This is a clear wake-up call to architects, planners and the owners of such buildings. People really do care what their environment looks like and they are not going to be easily impressed by some of the below par buildings inflicted upon them in recent years.
“It's time for everyone involved to raise their game”.
N What do you think the ugliest building in Suffolk is? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send an e-mail to email@example.com