Yobs banned in behaviour crackdown
TWENTY troublemakers have been banned from pubs as part of the Nightsafe scheme in the Woodbridge and Kesgrave areas.Police and partnership agencies are using the bans as one of their schemes to tackle the anti-social behaviour of a minority who persist in causing problems in and around licensed premises in the area.
TWENTY troublemakers have been banned from pubs as part of the Nightsafe scheme in the Woodbridge and Kesgrave areas.
Police and partnership agencies are using the bans as one of their schemes to tackle the anti-social behaviour of a minority who persist in causing problems in and around licensed premises in the area.
In Woodbridge 16 people have been banned and a further four are in Kesgrave.
Inspector Ian Farthing said: “This is just one of the measures we are taking to tackle anti-social behaviour.
“The local Nightsafe committee, which includes licensees and police representatives, will consider if an individual should be banned, based on their behaviour or criminal convictions.
“The bans are regularly reviewed and those modifying their behaviour can again be given admission to the venues that are part of the scheme.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 7 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Overnight closures announced for Orwell Bridge works
- 10 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
“We find this can be useful in tackling alcohol-related problems and the banning scheme also fosters closer working relationships between the agencies involved.”
The banning scheme has been operating in Felixstowe, where police and publicans pioneered Nightsafe, for several years and officers have found those prevented from using pubs and clubs for a period of time have missed being with their friends and been much better behaved when allowed to return.
Do you think banning troublemakers is a good idea? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk.