Young dad says residents do not feel safe after gun fired from Birkfield Drive flat window
- Credit: Archant
A young dad has told how he does not feel safe living in an area where two men were arrested on suspicion of gun crimes on Sunday.
Police were called to an address in Birkfield Drive late at night after reports of someone shooting an air gun out of a window.
A squad of armed police officers and dog handlers was sent to deal with the incident with seven air weapons seized during the raid.
But the young father, who asked to remain anonymous, said incidents like that were common in the area.
“It’s hard when you’re a young adult with a kid,” he said. “We see guns most of the time.”
You may also want to watch:
The man said he was very protective of his young son but was concerned about others living nearby as well.
“There’s a 100 year old lady over there. She was outside and someone kicked off and I felt so sorry for her.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 4 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 7 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 8 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
“None of us feel safe. All we want to do is move.
“The safest I’ve felt is when we had that army of police officers here on Sunday night.”
One of his neighbours, who also asked not to be named, witnessed the raid from outside his property.
“You can guarantee drama here every night,” he said. “When my partner goes to walk the dogs I make her stay on the phone to me.”
He added even though he was used to incidents like this it was still shocking when they happened.
“It doesn’t really phase us but the guns look the real deal.
“We know they’re fake but they sound real and they look real.”
Police arrested two men, aged 45 and 49, on Sunday night on suspicion of possession of a firearm.
They were questioned by officers at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre and were yesterday bailed to return there on June 12.