Search

Young mum recovers after fire drama

PUBLISHED: 19:00 24 June 2002 | UPDATED: 12:08 03 March 2010

A PREGNANT woman is recovering today after she was forced to flee her Ipswich home after a fire broke out in an upstairs room.

The blaze broke out in the first floor bedroom of 20-year-old Tracey Buxton's terraced house in Kelly Road.

A PREGNANT woman is recovering today after she was forced to flee her Ipswich home after a fire broke out in an upstairs room.

The blaze broke out in the first floor bedroom of 20-year-old Tracey Buxton's terraced house in Kelly Road.

It was thought to have been caused by her three-year-old son, Stephen, who had been playing with a cigarette lighter left lying around.

Tracey lost clothes she had been collecting for the new baby, but she was just relieved to be safe and sound at her family home in London Road.

She said: "All my things are replaceable, my son's life isn't. It wasn't frightening, but only because of my son.

"It was only a little fire when I woke up but I just made sure I got my son out."

Tracey said fire fighters praised her for getting out of the flat quickly. She now hopes to move back to her flat, but admitted she did not know when it would be fit for her return.

Her father, Ivan Buxton, 39, said: "The little one got hold of the lighter.

"My daughter woke up and the bedroom was on fire. She just grabbed the boy and ran.

"After that she went back in again to try to put the fire out but it was too big and she ran out screaming.

"It was lucky that no one was hurt. Tracey is six months pregnant and has lost everything that she had for the baby."

Two crews from Princes Street fire station attended the blaze which started at 8 am.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star