Young mum recovers after fire drama
A PREGNANT woman is recovering today after she was forced to flee her Ipswich home after a fire broke out in an upstairs room.The blaze broke out in the first floor bedroom of 20-year-old Tracey Buxton's terraced house in Kelly Road.
By Amanda Cresswell
A PREGNANT woman is recovering today after she was forced to flee her Ipswich home after a fire broke out in an upstairs room.
The blaze broke out in the first floor bedroom of 20-year-old Tracey Buxton's terraced house in Kelly Road.
It was thought to have been caused by her three-year-old son, Stephen, who had been playing with a cigarette lighter left lying around.
You may also want to watch:
Tracey lost clothes she had been collecting for the new baby, but she was just relieved to be safe and sound at her family home in London Road.
She said: "All my things are replaceable, my son's life isn't. It wasn't frightening, but only because of my son.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 6 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 7 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
- 10 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
"It was only a little fire when I woke up but I just made sure I got my son out."
Tracey said fire fighters praised her for getting out of the flat quickly. She now hopes to move back to her flat, but admitted she did not know when it would be fit for her return.
Her father, Ivan Buxton, 39, said: "The little one got hold of the lighter.
"My daughter woke up and the bedroom was on fire. She just grabbed the boy and ran.
"After that she went back in again to try to put the fire out but it was too big and she ran out screaming.
"It was lucky that no one was hurt. Tracey is six months pregnant and has lost everything that she had for the baby."
Two crews from Princes Street fire station attended the blaze which started at 8 am.