Young talent in focus
IPSWICH: These budding photographers were snap happy at having their work on display in an all-schools photo exhibition.
The SNAP photographic competition, held at St Joseph’s College, Emmanuel Close, included contributions from several Ipswich schools.
There were two age groups – four to 12 and 13 to 18 – and each pupil could enter photos into the landscape, figurative or creative categories.
Evening Star photographer Sarah Lucy Brown, who helped judge the entries, said: “There were some very creative entries of a very high standard.
“I was really impressed with the range of entries as they had everything from classical landscapes to portraiture.
“There were definitely some budding photographers among them, but they were all really talented entries.”
The competition included entries from Claydon High School, Kesgrave High School and Farlingaye High School as well as several primary school pupils.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 3 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 4 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 5 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 6 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 7 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 8 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 10 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
Their work went on display open to students and visitors at St Joseph’s for a week, before a presentation of prizes on Friday, July 2.
Ipswich Photographic Society also took part in the judging for the fourth year in a row.
Society representative Barry Freeman, 78, from Hoxne, helped judge the entries. He said: “They were very good. There was quite a wide range of abilities but some of the pictures were really very good.
“This year, the creative section was particularly excellent, especially at the senior level.
“We want to encourage the schools in the area to take photography seriously and hopefully we can get more schools involved next year.”
n Do you have a special talent? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com