Youngsters from Suffolk New College sizzle their way to regional final of FutureChef competition
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Six talented youngsters sizzled and chopped their way through the local final of a nationwide culinary competition.
The contenders, aged between 12 and 16, fought for their place in the regional final of the FutureChef initiative on Monday at Suffolk New College in Ipswich.
FutureChef is a national school cooking programme put together by UK charity Springboard, which helps young, unemployed and disadvantaged people into a career in hospitality, leisure and tourism.
The youngsters were tasked to cook two main dishes and two desserts on a budget of £7, which were then judged by a panel of top chefs.
The two top scoring dishes came from 16-year-old Bronwyn Fox representing Alde Valley School in Leiston, and Ashleigh Sheppard, 14, representing Stour Valley Community School in Sudbury.
Bronwyn cooked up chicken with tomato pasta followed by a tarragon panna cotta and Ashleigh wowed the judges with her fish and chips and warm chocolate tart.
Judge Alan Paton, head chef at Stoke by Nayland hotel and golf club, said: “It’s great to see so many youngsters showing a passion for the industry and I look forward to seeing the dishes at the regionals.”
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 3 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 4 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 8 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 9 Designer handbag stolen after car window smashed in Ipswich
- 10 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
The Suffolk girls will now compete at Bedford College on February 2 against finalists from the East of England to win a place at the national final in March at Westminster Kingsway College in London.