Your dog could be star of the show
POOCHES with aspirations to follow in the paw prints of Lassie, Beethoven, Toto and Sandy are being given the chance to tread the boards in Ipswich. Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society (IODS) is on the look out for a dog to join the cast of its forthcoming production of Anything Goes and will be holding open auditions to discover a potential canine star on March 12.
POOCHES with aspirations to follow in the paw prints of Lassie, Beethoven, Toto and Sandy are being given the chance to tread the boards in Ipswich.
Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society (IODS) is on the look out for a dog to join the cast of its forthcoming production of Anything Goes and will be holding open auditions to discover a potential canine star on March 12.
The company is in particular looking for a well-behaved and placid lap dog, like a Yorkshire or West Highland Terrier or similar breed.
The chosen dog – and owner – will be required to attend every show when the production of the hit musical takes to the stage at Ipswich Regent from April 4 to 9. There will be nightly shows, as well a Saturday matinee.
You may also want to watch:
On top of this the dog will be required for a few rehearsals in the run-up to opening night.
Publicity officer Shaun Whymark said: "The part is integral to the plot and story although he or she will appear on stage infrequently.
- 1 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 2 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 3 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
"It is essential however that the dog is happy to be handled as they will be held during much of their stage time by the character Evangeline Harcourt."
The lucky pooch will not be paid for his part in the show but it promises to be a wonderful theatrical experience for both dog and owner.
Anything Goes is Cole Porter's acclaimed musical set upon the SS American as it sails from New York to London.
It is a story of romance which brings laughter and chaos and stowaways and gangsters with it too. It also features many memorable songs, including I Get A Kick Out Of You, Friendship, Blow Gabriel Blow and title tune Anything Goes.
Anything Goes promises to be a voyage of celebration, especially as it comes in IODS's 50th anniversary year.
n Anything Goes will be at Ipswich Regent from April 4 to 9. Tickets cost £11 and £12.50 (concessions £9.50 and £11) and are available by calling 01473 433100 or online at www.ipswichregent.com
Auditions for the dog will take place at Ipswich Regent at 10am next Saturday. There is no need to book in advance but questions and queries can be directed to Shaun Whymark on 07763 765899.