Youth faces detention for attack
A YOUTH has been warned he could be sent down after pleading guilty to assault and handling stolen goods.The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and another teenager, were arrested following complaints from a group of teens claiming they had been attacked.
A YOUTH has been warned he could be sent to jail after pleading guilty to assault and handling stolen goods.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and another teenager, were arrested following complaints from a group of teens claiming they had been attacked.
The youngsters told police they had been assaulted and had a mobile phone stolen last Friday in Felixstowe.
Gareth Davies, prosecuting, told South East Suffolk Magistrates' in Ipswich: “A group of teenagers aged between 16 and 18 were walking home from Felixstowe to Trimley at around 10.30pm when they encountered the two defendants.
You may also want to watch:
“One of the defendants shouted to the group 'what are you looking at?'”
A female member of the group shouted back and a scuffle broke out which culminated in a punch being thrown by the 17-year-old defendant before the groups went their separate ways.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
Mr Davies said: “Later, four members of the group then headed back into Felixstowe where they encountered the defendants again.
“One of them says he saw the older defendant wrestle his friend up against a wall and take his mobile phone, and then punch him.”
Mr Davies said the victim had been attempting to phone emergency services when his phone was snatched out of his grasp.
The defendants were later picked up by police after being identified by the victims, and the 17-year-old was found in possession of the phone.
District judge David Cooper said the teenager could expect to receive a detention and training order.
He was released on bail subject to a curfew between 10pm and 7am and will be sentenced in youth court at a later date.