£1m Ambrose is Robbo's biggest steal
FORMER Ipswich Town manager Sir Bobby Robson was today celebrating his biggest coup.The man who made a succession of brilliant signings while in charge at Portman Road topped the lot by agreeing a deal with cash-strapped Town to snatch rising star Darren Ambrose for just £1million.
By Elvin King
FORMER Ipswich Town manager Sir Bobby Robson was today celebrating his biggest coup.
The man who made a succession of brilliant signings while in charge at Portman Road topped the lot by agreeing a deal with cash-strapped Town to snatch rising star Darren Ambrose for just £1million.
Ambrose joins a long list of youngsters purchased by Robson as the veteran boss looks to win the one big trophy that has evaded him – the Premiership championship.
You may also want to watch:
Robson has already returned to Portman Road to sign Kieron Dyer and Titus Bramble, but unlike the Ambrose snatch both were for realistic fees.
Jermaine Jenas and Craig Bellamy are two others who have boosted the lot of a club that made a record operating profit of more than £20million for the latest six-month period.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 7 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 8 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
This is in contrast to an Ipswich club £50million in debt and in administration – and forced to sell off the family silver.
Town manager Joe Royle confirmed today that Ipswich are hoping to have Ambrose back on loan, and available for Saturday's First Division match at Gillingham.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR