Academy lands national award
MARTIAL ARTS: Ipswich leading kung fu club have returned from the UK National Championships having scooped the award for best overall results. The Ho Wan Kung Fu Academy, which has its headquarters in Charles Street, sent a strong team of students to the grand final of the championships at Bletchley Sports Centre.
IPSWICH'S leading kung fu club have returned from the UK National Championships having scooped the award for best overall results.
The Ho Wan Kung Fu Academy, which has its headquarters in Charles Street, sent a strong team of students to the grand final of the championships at Bletchley Sports Centre.
And they were delighted with their success.
Six Ipswich fighters competed in the various weight divisions in Chinese kickboxing.
You may also want to watch:
And Brendon Cross got the club off to a flying start by winning the under 85kg class.
Kristen Alexanden then won the heavyweight 95kg division and Brent Rose scooped gold for the over 85kg category.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
Ipswich's three other competitiors also went home with medals.
Ricardo Williams just missed out on gold in the under 75kg class as did Ian Alexanden in his category.
Meanwhile, Chris Hodgson gained a bronze.
Master Michael Wong, instructor at the Ho Wan club, said, "The whole event was a great success.
"Winning six medals was easily the best overall result of those achieved by the academies competing,
"The club has now been selected to represent England in a kung fu competition in Holland and after that we will be appearing on Sky Sports as part of their Hardcore Fight Night programme."
Master Wong has been teaching traditional styles of martial arts, including Shaolin and Wing Chun, for over ten years and also specialises in self defence techniques.
Anyone interested in obtaining further details about the club should ring 01473 225458.