Action Mahon opens Town account
BRADFORD CITY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1For the first time this season Ipswich Town kept a clean sheet in the First Division and collected their second away win of the campaign.
BRADFORD CITY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1
For the first time this season Ipswich Town kept a clean sheet in the First Division and collected their second away win of the campaign.
All went well for the first 75 minutes with Alan Mahon scoring a sweet left footed goal three minutes before the interval following a pass from Pablo Counago.
It looked a formality for Ipswich to extend their league run to five wins out of six as they passed the ball with confidence and with such control that the Bradford crowd was subdued.
Counago had a chance to settle the issue in the 74th minute after Shefki Kuqi had been hauled down by David Wetherall.
The Spaniard struck his kick to the customary left side of the keeper, but Beresford guessed right and saved well.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 4 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 9 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 10 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
Ipswich could have two or three goals by then with Mahon and Counago particularly effective.
But the final minutes were frantic indeed with Bradford now urged on by their fans taking control and peppering the town goal.
Ipswich held out thanks to some determined play and overall deserved their victory.
Ipswich Man of the Match: Alan Mahon who played in a succession teasing crosses and also found the net with a stinging low effort that bulged the back of the net.
The Blackburn loanee was pushed hard by Pablo Counago while Jermaine Wright and Chris Bart-Williams also did well along with the resolute town defence.
See tonight's Green 'Un for full match report and pictures
Plus: Exclusive interview with Pablo Counago and Joe Royle