Athletic can make a championship move

SIL SOCCER: All the news and views from this weekend's round of matches in the Senior Division of the Metaltec SIL


Ipswich Athletic 2 Woodbridge Athletic 1

IPSWICH won the battle of the Athletics in the Senior Division of the Metaltec SIL.

This top-of-the-table clash was between surprise boys Woodbridge - in second place boasting a strong defensive record but only eight goals in six games - and fourth-placed Ipswich, who had scored 14 times in their previous two outings.

The game failed to live up to its pre-match billing and there was far too much scrappy play in the sunshine at Bourne Vale.

Predictably, Ipswich surged forward from the start but were denied until the 25th minute when the visitors failed to get away two successive corners.

Most Read

Mills cut the ball back from the by-line for Harold to turn and fire an unstoppable shot 12 yards.

Ipswich came forward, although their attack lacked width. They were desperately unlucky when Mills' tremendous 35-yard drive came back off the woodwork.

Woodbridge looked dangerous on the break and twice went close when Glencastle had keeper Johns diving full-length and Smith was unlucky when Johns had to track back to tip over a lob from distance.

Woodbridge had a livelier start to the second period but both sides were giving the ball away and Ipswich had very little spring in their step compared to their two previous games.

Things livened up in the 62nd minute when Rumens gave Mills a push when they both went for a long ball from Brame in the penalty area and Howard drove in the spot-kick with little fuss.

Ipswich looked to have scored a third when Dixon stayed down after diving at Howard's feet and Ford slammed in the loose ball but the referee gave a foul.

Woodbridge tried hard to get back in the game but it looked to be petering out until ten minutes from the end when home official Mel Jones, who was a stand-in linesman, spotted his keeper Johns kick the ball out of his hands from outside the penalty area.

Sportsmanship went unrewarded when Calver guided a brilliant free-kick over the wall into the top left-hand corner. Suddenly it was game on.

This shooked Ipswich out of their lethargy and after surviving a fierce spell of pressure, they again got on top to finish strongly.

They look championship material when they play to their full ability.

Haughley 3 Leiston St Margarets 0

HAUGHLEY'S recent good form continued with a win over bottom club Leiston St Margarets, who have yet to record a league win this season.

In a poor first half, Haughley dominated play, and only good defending by Ford, aided by keeper Walker, denied the home side goals.

The visitors' best chance came early when Sheppard outjumped defenders to head wide from close range. For the home side Noller was unlucky when his goal-bound shot was headed clear by Ford with the keeper grounded. An overhead kick by Vincent finished in the keeper's arms.

Play improved after the break with Haughley going ahead in the 50th minute; Noller stroking home a cross from Moggan. The striker added a second in the 66th minute beating defenders to volley past the advancing keeper.

The visitors put together a number of good moves midway through the half, and a shot from Shepperd was wide of the upright with the keeper beaten.

Haughley controlled the final quarter with keeper Walker making numerous saves, being beaten in the 86th minute when Moggan netted.

Old Newton 1 Grundisburgh 1

A PENALTY to each side, seven minutes into either half, was the scoring outcome of this tough and often exciting encounter.

Grundisburgh shaded the first half but in the closing 10 minutes of the game, found themselves hanging on as the home side came back strongly.

Grundisburgh made the early running but fell behind after seven minutes, as a result of a twice-taken penalty by Zarkos.

Gaunt brilliantly saved the first effort but a linesman had noticed an infringement and a re-take was ordered.

Grundisburgh fought back for Clennell to strike the woodwork. Then Cotton saw his free-kick brilliantly turned over by Paisley. Rodwell, outstanding throughout for Old Newton, twice cleared off the head of Clennell as half-time approached.

After 52 minutes the speedy Clennell was adjudged to have been pushed in the box and upstepped Cotton to drill the resultant spot-kick into the bottom corner.

Old Newton created the better chances late on, Clarke hitting the crossbar and twice Gaunt made last-ditch saves to earn his side a share of the spoils.

Stonham Aspel 1 Crane Sports 5

CRANES collected a good win and went ahead when Sutton superbly fired beyond Lay.

Clarke forced his shot home to put Cranes further ahead, and Troy Paul then converted a penalty.

After 29 minutes Sutton again hit a screamer past Lay.

Stonham hit back in the first minute of the second half when G Brown forced his shot home after Flatman's free-kick had caused problems.

Midway through the half, Middlemiss shot home Cranes' fifth. Stonham missed some half chances late on but Cranes ran out comfortable winners in a game they dominated for long periods.

Melton 2 East Bergholt 2

LOCKWOOD scored a late leveller for the home side.

Turner fired over the bar faced with an open goal but with half-time approaching Fryatt headed home Glencastle's perfectly directed cross.

Gedny headed past the exposed keeper from Turner's cross to equalise.

Melton paid the price for missed chances whens Turner headed home from close range following Norman's cross.

However, Bergholt were also caught napping as Wright set up Lockwood who brought the sides level.

The last five minutes were end-to-end with the home side coming closest to scoring when Cook hit the post.

Achilles 3 Stanton 4

SEVEN goals at Stone Lodge Lane and Achilles can only blame themselves for not getting at least a point.

They took the lead in the fifth minute when Vince's low shot from 20 yards beat Mustoe.

Stanton took just ten minutes to equalise when Ross scored from Bloomfield's pass. Three minutes later Richards in the Achilles goal made a wonderful save from Bloomfield but the ball re-bounded to Ross who easily scored.

Stanton had the ball in the net again but it was disallowed. Achilles got back on terms when Deller was fouled and Westwood scored from the spot.

In the second half, Achilles made several good chances but could only score from one, when Deller made it 3-3 after Goodenham converted a penalty for Stanton.

Just before the end Bloomfield put Portway clean through to score the winning goal.

Capel Plough 0 Walsham 2

THE visitors won this match with a goal in each half and were worthy winners against a home side that lacked punch up front and found chances hard to come by.

J Moye gave Walsham the lead after 15 minutes from a well-taken Musgrove corner.

But Capel went close when first Holder had a shot well saved by Anderson and then Donovan hit the bar with a 25 yard shot.

After an even first half the visitors went two up early in the second half when G Newman scored from close in after a defensive error.

Capel tried hard to get back in the match but failed to create any clear-cut chances, and the visitors held on to take the points and remain top of the table.