Baek is in top form at schools' event
HEIDI Baek of Kesgrave High School won the girls' title at the South East of England Schools' Championship at Rookery Park Golf Club. Her rounds of 77 and 78 left her four shots ahead of two-handicap Nicole Whitmore from Buckinghamshire.
By Tony Garnett
HEIDI Baek of Kesgrave High School won the girls' title at the South East of England Schools' Championship at Rookery Park Golf Club.
Her rounds of 77 and 78 left her four shots ahead of two-handicap Nicole Whitmore from Buckinghamshire. Georgina Kilby of the Plume School in Maldon, was third.
In the county team section, Suffolk girls were runners-up to Essex going down by two shots after holding a five shot advantage after the first round.
The boys' champion was James Phillips, a six-handicapper from Norwich School, with rounds of 72 and 77.
Scott Brace (Great Cornard Upper School) was runner-up, with his younger brother Liam third with rounds of 74 and 77.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 7 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 8 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 9 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
- 10 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
Suffolk lost in the team event to Norfolk on countback with both Alastair Hall (Bungay High School) and Ben Farthing (Kesgrave High School) below their best.
It was especially disappointing that Farthing, an England Schools' international last year with victories over both Wales and Scotland, should miss out of the second stage of qualification at Walsall on June 25.
Last year, Farthing proved to be an excellent ambassador for schools' golf at the highest level.
The event was sponsored by Ransomes Jacobsen Ltd and had financial backing from Suffolk Schools' Sports Association.
Boys' qualifiers for Walsall: James Phillips (Norwich School) 72 77, Scott Brace (Great Cornard Upper) 76 74. Liam Brace (Great Cornard Upper) 74 77, Andrew Lee (Essex) 78 78, Kit Holmes (Norfolk) 80 77, Matthew Knight (Essex) 77 80, Dean Parker (Norfolk) 79 79, Steve Jones (Herts) 82 77, Nick Ansell (Essex) 81 79, Sam Claridge (Herts) 80 81.
Other scores: Ben Farthing (Kesgrave HS) 81 84.
Girls' qualifiers: Heidi Baek (Kesgrave HS, Suffolk) 77 78, Georgina Kilby (Plume School, Maldon) 82 78, Liz Sweetnam (Beds) 88 78 and Daisey Dyer (Essex) 89 79.
Other scores included: Korell Holley (Finborough School, Suffolk) 83 88; Amanda Amey (Copleston HS) 98 86.