Basemement strugglers shock Ladies
HOCKEY: Ipswich Ladies 1 Sutton Coldfield 2. Bottom side Sutton Coldfield sprung something of a surprise as victory moved them to within two points of Ipswich Ladies.
Ipswich Ladies 1 Sutton Coldfield 2
BOTTOM side Sutton Coldfield sprung something of a surprise as victory moved them to within two points of Ipswich Ladies.
The Tuddenham Road side had started well and relentless pressure led to them gaining a penalty after ten minutes.
Tanya Barnard was blocked in the act of shooting and Leisa King, fresh from England's triumph abroad in the Champions Cup, calmly put the flick away.
Ipswich continued to build on their foundation and Sutton found it hard to link their passes into any sort of attack, but the game took a dramatic turn five minutes later when the Ipswich defence was penalised for a challenge in their circle.
This time Sutton were awarded the penalty flick and even though goalkeeper, Hannah Robinson got a touch to the ball she could not stop Kate Thomas equalising.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 3 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 6 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 7 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 8 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 9 New Sports Direct still expected by mid-2022 in Ipswich town centre
- 10 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
Tempers began to rise after the interval and Colleen Adcock was shown the yellow card for what was deemed a dangerous tackle.
Sutton started to push up and pressurise the Ipswich defence in numbers, but when the home side regained possession, they squandered several easy chances in front of the visitors' goal.
Both teams realised that the three points were vital to their respective positions in the Premier Division of the English Hockey League and Sutton should have gone ahead when they awarded another penalty, but on this occasion Robinson saved brilliantly.
With 15 minutes left, Sutton grabbed the winner through Helen Morris from a short corner routine and they held on to gain only their second win of the season.