Battling Stowmarket let home record slip
Jewson League Premier DivisionStowmarket Town 0, AFC Sudbury 1STOWMARKET lost their 100 percent home league record but they put up a real fight against the reigning champions before eventually losing by a solitary goal.
Jewson League Premier Division
Stowmarket Town 0, AFC Sudbury 1
STOWMARKET lost their 100 percent home league record but they put up a real fight against the reigning champions before eventually losing by a solitary goal. The visitors were fast starters and a long range effort from Bennett struck the upright as early as the 10th minute and then the same player shot just over as Sudbury started well.
Stowmarket matched their opponents and a long range effort by Ratcliffe flashed wide of the Sudbury post. The visitors scored what proved to be the crucial goal in the 39th minute when the home side were unable to clear their lines and Rayner finished well from the edge of the area.
You may also want to watch:
Into the second half, play ebbed and flowed with the Stowmarket defence standing up well and it was not until late in the game that Stowmarket came closest to forcing an equaliser when King struck a long range effort straight at Nower, and with the game drawing to a close, the visitors were forced to defend and Stowmarket nearly snatched an equaliser in the final five minutes when Mayes played a clever ball into the path of Canfer (making his first team debut) but his shot well stopped by Nower and Sudbury took the points, and in so doing, swapped places with their hosts in the league table.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties