Beer guides The Suffolk into next round

PUBLISHED: 12:45 28 May 2002 | UPDATED: 12:00 03 March 2010

GOLF: Nick Beer, a three-handicap player who represents the Royal Air Force, led the Suffolk Golf & Country Club to a notable victory over Hintlesham Hall in the first round of the Stenson Shield on Saturday.


NICK Beer, a three-handicap player who represents the Royal Air Force, led the Suffolk Golf & Country Club to a notable victory over Hintlesham Hall in the first round of the Stenson Shield on Saturday.

Beer, who has joined The Suffolk this year after playing his golf in Norfolk, was delighted with a narrow victory that has earned his club a home draw with Gorleston in the quarter-finals to be played on July 20.

Hintlesham led by two-and-a-half to one-and-a-half after the foursomes in this inter-club knock-out competition played off scratch.

In the singles Hintlesham gained their anticipated victories from Kristian Day and Rob Garlick, who came so close to winning the Suffolk Open on his home course last year.

Perhaps the results that turned the match The Suffolk's way was Trevor Titcombe's 2 and 1 win over Sam Debenham.

It was also surprising that Titcombe, partnered by Richard Tungate, managed to hold former Suffolk Amateur Foursomes champions Debenham and Adrian Meredith to a half.

Stoke-by-Nayland, the holders, came away from Rookery Park with a 9-3 win despite a highly commendable victory by Matt Lay over the talented Jamie Moul on the final green. Stoke have a solid side with youngsters Scott Vandervord and Greg Hills earning a half in the foursomes as part of the learning curve.

Now Stoke are at home to Felixstowe Ferry who proved too strong for Bungay by the seaside. The only ray of sunshine for Bungay was a half by Nairn Black against Steve Waring in the top singles match.

There will be a tense local derby between Rushmere and Ipswich for a place in the semi-finals.

It was always likely to be a severe test for Rushmere at Stowmarket, a parkland course very different to their own heathland. It was level at lunch after the foursomes but Rushmere had the better of the singles with the experience of James Wright, Michael Buck, Kevin Eagle and Danny Barton showing through.

Ipswich, in the meantime, overcame Haverhill for whom Robert Cramsie, a former professional, was undefeated on the day.

Bury St Edmunds never looked back against Fynn Valley after winning all the foursomes. Ross Cracknell scored a good win for Fynn Valley over Bill Russell in the singles.

Chris Wright will be on holiday when Bury St Edmunds visit Woodbridge in the next round but Lawrence Dodd will return. He missed Saturday's match because of a planned practice round for the Lagonda.

Woodbridge made amends for their early exit in the Hambro by winning at Southwold.

Alan Middle, recent winner of the Eastern Counties Cup, lost his singles to promising youngster Jack Fountain, but had picked up a point in the foursomes with Suffolk second team captain John Blackmore.

Gorleston fielded fresh faces against Diss so were especially pleased to win through. Garry Kellett needed a birdie at the last to secure a half with Ed Doe.

Chris Duffy is a Suffolk junior making rapid strides at Gorleston.

Much the same can be said of Mark Farrow at Diss.

Quarter-final draw

(to be played on July 20)

Stoke-by-Nayland (holders) v Felixstowe Ferry.

Rushmere v Ipswich.

The Suffolk Golf & CC v Gorleston.

Woodbridge v Bury St Edmunds.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star