Bennett's goal rescues replay

LOCAL SOCCER: A full round up of all the Jewson League action plus coverage of AFC Sudbury's eight goal FA Cup thriller.


Harefield United 4 AFC Sudbury 4

A REPLAY tomorrow night at King's Marsh stadium will decide which of these teams go through to the third qualifying round after Saturday's eight-goal thriller failed to provide a winner.

League champions AFC Sudbury led three times, but each time Harefield equalised and then the home team went ahead. It took a late Sudbury goal to force a replay.

Dunne twice went close for Harefield before AFC took an eighth-minute lead when Claydon, not for the first time, was pulled back by Brown, this time in the penalty area. Norfolk netted from the spot.

Within minutes, Harefield were level. Pither sent over a long free-kick to the far post where Keen, unchallenged, headed past Nower.

Most Read

Rayner was fouled on the edge of the area and from Norfolk's free-kick, Howlett surged in with a strong downward header that bounced up into the roof of the net to put Sudbury back in front. Howlett was then adjudged to have brought down Dunne and Ursull equalised from the penalty spot.

Two minutes into the second half, AFC took the lead again when Howlett flicked on Betson's corner to the far post where the lurking Bennett turned to slam the ball home from close range.

Harefield equalised for the third time when Norfolk lost possession and Ursull laid the ball back to Dunne, whose shot looped over Nower. Harefield took the lead for the first time when they were awarded a controversial second penalty which Ursull converted.

Ten minutes from time, Head provided the chance for Betson to cross with Bennett scoring the best goal of the game with a powerful header.

There was still time for AFC to almost snatch victory as first Mugal finger-tipped over the bar a free-kick from Norfolk and then saved at point-blank range from Betson.


Maldon Town 3 Norwich United 0

LOWLY Norwich United held Maldon to a single goal until the last four minutes, when the home side added two more to give the scoreline a true reflection of the play.

Maldon fielded their two midweek signings, Robbie Reinelt from Grays and Dave Streetley from Heybridge.

Maldon took the lead after 36 minutes when Scott Witney's cross from the right reached Perry Prudance, who turned it in.

Maldon's 18-year-old central defender Paul Goodacre twice came to the rescue, first heading the ball off the line and then producing a great tackle to rob MacIntosh as the Norwich striker looked to be going clear.

It was not until four minutes from time that Maldon made their control count when Mark Adams pushed the ball through for Reinelt to score his debut goal. Right on time Neil Docking was in the right place to hit Maldon's third.

Wroxham 2 Tiptree United 2

TIPTREE produced a great second-half revival to snatch a point away to the Premier Division leaders.

Russell Stock had given Wroxham the lead in the first minute, and Sean Howes made it 2-0 with a ninth-minute penalty.

Danny Rochester followed up to net from Cogger's shot to pull a goal back after 67 minutes, and almost straight from the restart Steve Wareham grabbed the equaliser. Tiptree finished the game well in control, only to be denied the winning goal by home keeper Fowler.

Halstead 1 Stanway 0

NEW-BOY Richard Hearn's goal with seven minutes left proved enough for Halstead to gain three more Division One points against a plucky Stanway side who finished up with nine men.

With half-an-hour gone Jimmy Clewley was dismissed for a crude challenge on home keeper Lloyd Pentney, who was laid out in the process, and when full-back Lee Abrehart hobbled off on 70 minutes, Stanway had already used their substitutes.

Stanway keeper Nathan Munson, apparently in his last game for the club, made several good saves to prevent Halstead taking a commanding lead.

In the final 20 minutes against Stanway's nine men Halstead piled on the pressure and eventually the breakthrough arrived when a fine Richard Sestak pass found Hearn who ran on, beat two defenders and slammed the ball home.

Stowmarket 1 Mildenhall 0

STOWMARKET maintained their 100% home league record after a game of little incident was settled by Colin Yeomans' 76th-minute goal. Stowmarket were without Mayes, Roberts, Scoulding, Whatling and goalkeeper Nunn, who was injured in midweek.

They suffered another injury setback when Supple suffered a hamstring injury and had to be replaced in the 13th minute.

The visitors were denied a goal just before the interval when Hammond made a fine stop from Long's header.

In the 52nd minute Hammond was unable to hold a corner and Dowling somehow put his effort over the bar from close range.

The match was settled when Jopling gained possession and from his pass Yeomans steered his shot into the Mildenhall net.

Bury Town 3 Gorleston 3

BURY scored twice in time added on at the end of 90 minutes to snatch an unlikely point.

Ingram had curled a 10th-minute free-kick around the wall to give Gorleston the lead, and Bunker received a throw-in and found the net from an acute angle after 25 minutes to make it 2-0.

Within a minute of the restart, an uncharacteristic mistake by Thompson gave Woodbridge the simple task of making it 3-0.

Harrison reduced the arrears in the 52nd minute and injuries to Cockrill, who left on a stretcher, and Harrison ensured lengthy stoppage time.

In the 96th minute, Tatham burst through to slot the ball home and straight from the restart, and with the whistle about to blow, Harrison, finding the ball at his feet some 25 yards out, crashed a thunderous drive past a bewildered Cooper for an unexpected equaliser.

Lowestoft 5 Ely City 1

FOR the second Saturday running Lowestoft cruised to a comfortable victory over Cambridgeshire opposition.

Managerless Ely were no match for the Blues, who were five goals to the good by the second minute of the second half. Poppy, a 17-year-old making his second start, had given Lowestoft a 17th-minute lead and before the half-hour McGee had scored twice to make it 3-0.

There was no holding Lowestoft and King added a fourth in the 36th minute, finishing off a fine move down the left by Durrant and McGee.

Godbold scored again in the opening minute of the second half with a 30-yard drive but the home team eased up and missed a number of chances after that. Five minutes from time Munns sent in a glorious 35-yard drive for a consolation goal for the visitors.

Fakenham 1 Woodbridge 1

WOODBRIDGE showed character in gaining a hard-earned point with a late equaliser.

Gavin Crane was back in Woodbridge colours, having signed from Clacton, and it was somewhat against the run of play when Kevin White gave Fakenham the lead in the 19th minute.

Woodbridge keeper Adam Wilson was then called upon to make several good saves while his opposite number, Feeke, was fortunate when he dropped a high cross over his own goal-line only for the referee to penalise Danny Phillips, who had made slight contact with the keeper.

The equaliser came 10 minutes from time when Carl David played Phillips in on goal and the young striker kept his composure to steer a shot into the net.

Whitton United 4 King's Lynn Reserves 1

WHITTON continued their impressive start to the season by sweeping aside King's Lynn Reserves.

They made a spectacular start when Francis rolled a free-kick on the halfway line to Eaton, who unleashed a 40-yard dipping shot to beat keeper Mayes all ends up.

Grimwood and Hurd played in Swann to side-foot the second goal and in the second half Swann netted again after a run from the halfway line.

Everett met Eaton's deep cross to loop a header over Mayes for No. 4, before a driven cross deflected off a defender and wrong-footed home keeper Holden to give Lynn a consolation goal.

Cambridge City Res 5 Needham Market 1

AS the scoreline suggests Needham were well-beaten by a skilful young Cambridge City Reserve team.

Cambridge took control with early goals from Simpson and Jenner before Stuart Moore pulled one back by tapping home after Ashleigh Hawes had shot against a post.

Just before half-time slack marking allowed Sturgess to come in at the far post and make it 3-1.

Two second-half goals from defender Carmell completed the scoring.

Felixstowe & Walton 1 Somersham Town 2

THE Seasiders were left to wonder what they have to do to win a league match as once again controversial decisions influenced the result.

Two disputed penalty decisions gave Somersham a goal each side of half-time and all three points.

Had the home side converted half the chances they created then those decisions would not have mattered.

As it was they only had Nicky Barker's 26th-minute goal to show for their work.

Referee Mr Cook penalised Daniels for shielding the ball out of play and Daniels for a push on Egan and Unwin converted both spot-kicks.

The officials also sent off Somersham defender Hugill.

Histon Res 4 Harwich & Parkeston 3

VISITORS Harwich went down in Division One after a seven-goal thriller at Histon.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter