Bennett's goal takes Sudbury through

LOCAL SOCCER: Full coverage of all the weekend's local matches in the FA Vase as well as the Jewson Premier Division and First Division.


Mildenhall 2 Maldon 4 (after extra time)

FOR the second time in under a week, Maldon Town came from two goals behind to snatch victory by scoring four. Mildenhall made most of the running in the first half of this pulsating FA Vase match at Recway.

Playing down the slope, Mildenhall were in action as early as the second minute, Neil Stanbridge saving a fierce drive from Bob Allis after the keeper had picked up a back pass.

Mildenhall, on the play, well deserved their 17-minute lead. Following good play from Richard Inman, the ball was turned over the line by Stuart Ogilvie. Despite Dan Kelly robbing the ball of off Scot Witney's feet, following a free kick, Maldon at this stage, looked to be well out of the running as Mildenhall increased their lead from the penalty spot. Neil Dowling was brought down by Neil Shade and from the spot-kick, Allis gave the keeper no chance.

Maldon began to fight back with Terry Warwick shooting just wide and then two minutes before the break, they were back in again with a chance, Witney heading home Terry Warwick's cross.

Most Read

Now playing down the slope, the visitors had the better of the exchanges whereas Mildenhall appeared to go off the boil. It came as no surprise when Maldon got back on terms in the 70th minute, Simon Gray floated the ball into the top left hand corner over the heads of the home defence.

With the game now going into extra time on the heavy surface, it was going to be a tale of who was the fittest, and it was Maldon who came through when, in the 100th minute, Gray moved the ball through for Warwick to direct a shot round the advancing keeper.

Witney looked to be offside 10 minutes later, but Mildenhall, appealing for the offside, allowed Nicky Smith to hit a great shot and put the issue beyond doubt.

AFC Sudbury 1 Southall 0

SOUTHALL Town, conquers of Clacton in the previous round, proved stubborn opposition for AFC Sudbury on Saturday, keeping them at bay until three minutes from time when a goal from Gary Bennett ended a frustrating afternoon for the home side.

Apart from the opening minute, when hesitation between Bishop and Nower almost let in Meaker, AFC Sudbury dominated the game, although Southall were not helped by losing influential captain Ross Christie through a fourth minute injury. Early efforts from Howlett and Hyde were only just off target before Bennett missed the first real chance of the game. Southall keeper Lavender, who was to have an inspired performance, did well to keep out Tracey's close-range header before Nower faced his first action of the game, punching away a dangerous free-kick from Gregory. Claydon pulled a shot wide of the far post before two superb saves from Lavender kept out a header from Bishop and then a stinging angled shot from Bennett.

At the start of the second half, a scramble in the Southall goal saw the ball blocked on the line and then Lavender again went full-length to just touch round another fierce Bennett shot.

With extra-time looming, the resistance of Southall was finally broken; Bennett beating Lavender to Norfolk's chipped ball over the defence to side-step the keeper and shoot low into the net. Within a minute, Claydon almost made it two, breaking clear down the left to lob the ball over Lavender only to see it hit the post and rebound back into play.

Lowestoft 5 Sidlesham 0

LOWESTOFT made the early breakthrough that they wanted with Poppy putting them ahead after just six minutes, hitting home the rebound after McGee's header had been blocked by Judd.

Sidlesham searched for an equaliser in an even first half with Bridgeman clipping the Blues' bar and Hitcham saving well from Tipper.

Lowestoft went two-up on the stroke of half-time as Godbold intercepted a poor clearance to race forward and rifle the ball past Judd after exchanging passes with McGee. That goal deflated the visitors and the Blues completed a comprehensive victory with three goals in a nine-minute spell during the second-half.

On the hour Cambridge was obstructed and Godbold's free-kick reached Stokeld who scored low through a crowd of players. Four minutes later McGee was fouled just outside the area and Head curled the ball just inside the far post.

Durrant completed the scoring nine minutes later following a strong run down the left by Stokeld.

Buckingham Town 2 Bury Town 0

BURY bowed out of today's FA Vase draw after missing a lengthy catalogue of first-half chances and a sustained shot-stopping display from the Buckingham keeper Griffiths.

Tatham gave his markers a nightmare 45 minutes and produced a brilliant opportunity early on which Harrison headed the wrong side of the post.

Then, with the unmarked Stringfellow screaming for the ball in the six-yard box, Harrison decided to go it alone and fired well over when a well-placed ball must surely have seen Bury ahead.

Newman and Tatham then combined well to set up Sims, who fired off target. Bury continued in totally dominant mood, carving their way at will through the home defence, but could not find the net, due partly to their own over-eagerness and in part to the spectacular Griffiths.

Totally against the run of play Bury conceded two goals within five minutes, the first a crucial strike from nowhere by McGillycuddy just before the break.

The second, immediately after the break, should never have been allowed to develop but Cole was the eventual and grateful recipient of Bury's dogged failure to defend down their left.

The setback decimated Bury's rhythm and, despite a never-say-never die approach, they could not breach a rugged home defence.

Diss 3 Tiptree 2

THE 1994 Wembley winners bounced back with a late, late win on Saturday and can dream of returning to the final after nine years, though it won't be at Wembley.

Diss Town came back from 2-0 down to win a pulsating cup tie at Brewers Green Lane in time added on against last year's losing finalists Tiptree United, in front of former Chelsea, Rangers and Norwich star Robert Fleck. He has seen a few great cup ties in his time but the Diss manager can rarely have seen one with such a dramatic finale.

The Jam-Makers had looked in complete control in the first half when they cruised into a 2-0 lead in 29 minutes. First Wayne Houghton was unmarked at the back of the penalty area, after 28 minutes to pull down a cross from Dave Barefield and stab it in. And within a minute left winger Neil Cogger sped away from a static defence and finished with a blistering shot. The only Diss effort before then to worry the visitors was a 25-yard chip from Matty Joynson which hit the bar after good work by Dale Vince.

Diss clawed one back after 31 minutes when a free kick by the left corner flag was bent in by Matty Wright and Leighton Miller rose unchallenged to head in. It was an end to end game but Tiptree's Mick Bavester hardly had a save to make. Tiptree should have gone further ahead, Cogger dribbled right through the middle and slipped the ball to Barefield whose shot clipped the post but the flag was up for offside. It looked harsh.

Fleck's half-time talk must have been pretty fruity. Diss made their first real chance after 17 seconds of the re-start. Coren Hardy played in Joynson but he dragged his shot wide of Bavester and also the far post.

Tiptree were retreating deeper and deeper and unable to get good service to their front men and Diss were being urged on by Fleck standing outside his dug-out.

On the hour Fleck played his trump card, sending on Lee Gilman for Hardy and he immediately got involved and had to be warned for one foul and then got Kevin Ford booked for a clumsy challenge.

Gilman saw a flicked header strike the top of the Tiptree post and cleared before the visitors should have closed off the game.

Barefield sped away on to a through ball from Andy Brady after 74 minutes and he was fouled by Andy Taylor and the Tiptree fans were celebrating a penalty when referee Paul Cox blew his whistle.

Even the home fans were surprised when the free-kick was given just outside the box. Daly's free kick came back out off a defender and Tiptree's Dave Lodge hit a strong volley that Pauling could only parry. As two Tiptree players ran in to take the chance the flag was raised for offside. From then on Diss pushed Tiptree back and began to force a string of chances.

There were 90 minutes on the clock when Diss equalised to bring the promise of extra-time. A free kick out on the left touchline was boomed in by Wright, everyone in the penalty box jumped but they all missed it and the ball eluded Bavester and ended up in the net.

Tiptree still might have won it. Their best passing move of the game supplied Barefield in the box and Pauling had to dive full-length to push his powerful drive around the post. There was worse to come for the Essex side. Gilman cut into the penalty box from the right, tricked his way past Houghton and was pulled back.

Referee Cox awarded a penalty, booked Houghton and then sent off Ford, who had previously been booked, presumably for dissent. It was harsh on Tiptree's best player Houghton. When it had calmed down Andy Key buried the spot kick.

Diss: Pauling, Miller, Cornish (Richards), Joynson, Taylor, Wright, Vince, White (Barzey), Key, Hardy (Gilman), Lindsay

Tiptree: Bavester, Battell, Ford, Houghton, Champ (Snow), Lodge, Brady, Daly, Barefield, Farmer (Tudor), Cogger.

Referee: P. Cox (Bedford)

Attendance: 216


Harwich and Parkeston 2 Woodbridge Town 3

TWO late goals from Woodbridge substitute Shaun Curtis were enough to seal victory for the Suffolk side in an evenly contested and open match at the Royal Oak.

The opening stages of the game saw chances created at both ends of the pitch. Both goalkeepers were tested as the contest swung from end to end.

Harwich's Tanner was the first to excel, saving bravely at the feet of Phillips before Dixon did well to stop a goalbound shot from Harwich front-runner Brothers.

Harwich suffered a major setback when their influential defender Duncan Jackson had to be stretchered off and taken to hospital having suffered a horrendous gash to his kneecap.

Whilst Harwich were still down to 10 men Woodbridge opened the scoring. Paul Ager got the best of a goalmouth scramble to stab the ball past Tanner and into the net.

Harwich tried to reply with a shot from player-manager Steve McGavin but Dixon was equal to it, flinging himself to his left to pull off a breathtaking save.

There was hardly time to draw breath during a frantic second-half which saw the balance of play swing first one way then the other.

Harwich restored parity with a Steve McGavin penalty that was awarded as the result of a trip on Michael Brothers. The home side then went on to take the lead when Lee Race scored a brilliant individual goal.

The Harwich midfield man burst forward on an attacking run, beating several defenders before tucking the ball past Dixon at the near post. Harwich's purple patch continued with shots from Brothers and Eagle that flew just over Dixon's crossbar but the complexion of the game changed when Woodbridge introduced Curtis.

He found space on two occasions to capitalise upon gaps in the Harwich defence scoring on 70 and 81 minutes with powerful low drives.

This entertaining match ended in controversy when seconds before the final whistle Woodbridge's Gavin Crane was sent off for an alleged head-butting offence.


Haverhill Rovers 4 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 0

HAVERHILL wrapped up their fifth league win on the trot after condemning Felixstowe to their fourth defeat in a row and left them still win less away from home.

Hunt grabbed himself an 18-minute hat-trick in the process, his first coming in the sixth minute, King cutting inside from the left and putting in a perfect cross for Hunt to volley home.

The second came in the 19th minute, Jenkin's cross resulting in a scramble that finished when Hunt charged in and fired into the net.

Hunt finished his hat-trick five minutes later, heading a corner by Walker into the top corner of the goal.

The scoring was completed two minutes after half-time, Cowling fouled in the penalty area and King putting the spot kick into the top corner of the net. Although both sides came close late on, Jenkin seeing his 82nd penalty saved by goalkeeper Charters and Felixstowe's Thurkettle hitting the near post in the 86th minute, neither side could add to the score line.

King's Lynn Res 6 Long Melford 4

INJURY-hit Melford were given a second-half football lesson by the young home side.

The visitors went ahead in the eighth minute when a cross from Jules Mumford found Dean Stalker, who swivelled to fire home just inside the post. Minutes later Darren Judd had a great opportunity to put Melford further ahead but it was well saved by Nobes.

On the half hour, Ortega picked up a loose ball, following a fine save from Melford 'keeper Jason Haygreen, to tap in, and two minutes later Harris ran through and blasted home.

After the break Melford equalised in the 47th minute when Stalker brilliantly volleyed home a Tony French cross.

King's Lynn took control in midfield and produced some excellent approach work. Lynn scored three goals in a 13-minute spell with the Melford's defence cruelly exposed. Bushy made it 3-2 and Ortega helped himself to another. A further intricate passing movement culminated in Doughty blasting the ball into the net.

Long Melford fought back and pulled a goal back through a fierce shot by French in the 75th minute. However, Soughty was again on target for the home side in the 80th minute to make it 6-3. In the final minute Melford again reduced the arrears when French rounded the 'keeper and tapped home from a wide angle.

Thetford 1 Needham Market 3

NEEDHAM fully deserved this victory because their play was faster and more controlled than the home team's.

Thetford Town had plenty of the play but lacked a desire to be decisive and in essence their play was littered with mistakes. The first goal was a good example of this as Jevons failed to get in front of Robbie Hill, who rose to head home Karl Sandilands cross in the tenth minute.

The second, just after the break, showed how well Lee Briggs has come back after his recent injury. He rode two tackles before squaring for Marc Wake to shoot home to double Needham's lead.

Kevin Holland who earlier had made a number of class saves including one at point-blank range from Almond, was at fault for Thetford's goal as he lost possession of the ball as he slid out to gather near the edge of the penalty area. It spilled out of his grip to Almond, who shot home to give the home team some hope.

But soon afterwards Briggs, with another penetrating run, squared to Louis Davey who found the corner of the net beyond the outstretched arms of home keeper Thomas for his first Jewson goal.

Leiston 1 Whitton United 0

LEISTON completed their first league victory for seven games and inflicted Whitton's second defeat of the season in the process.

Caretaker manager Wright gave debuts to recent signings Fenn and Sparkes and both did well with Fenn giving an assured display in goal.

Both sides played some neat football but chances were sparse until a host of chances arrived late in the first half. Holden saved well from Leiston's Fryer and Swann shot wide with just Fenn to beat for Whitton.

Early in the second-half Carl Chinery was red-carded for his second booking from the fussy referee and this seemed to spur on the home side. Kirtley had a brace of chances while Swan and Sadler missed clearer openings.

The winning goal came in the 79th minute. A surging run from Fryer ended with a deft chip over Holden for his seventh goal of the season and his fourth in four games. Then the 10 men held out much to the relief of the home supporters.

STOWMARKET Town have been removed from the Jewson League Cup for playing an ineligible player, Wayne Pannell, in the First Round tie against Ely City.

Pannell, who had originally transferred to Clacton on October 8, returned to his former club without waiting for the mandatory 28 days to expire before the return transfer could be accepted. Accordingly, Ely City have been reinstated into the competition, and will now travel to Wroxham in the second round.

CLACTON'S Jewson League Premier Division game at home to Ely on Saturday was abandoned after just four minutes. Referee Mr Hoare decided the pitch was too wet to continue playing.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter