Bent gives Town the advantage
Ipswich 1 West Ham 0DARREN Bent struck in the 57th minute to keep Ipswich Town on course for a place in the Premiership.A party atmosphere ensued at Portman Road this afternoon as Joe Royle's side took a big step to winning their First Division play-offs semi-final against West Ham.
Ipswich 1 West Ham 0
DARREN Bent struck in the 57th minute to keep Ipswich Town on course for a place in the Premiership.
A party atmosphere ensued at Portman Road this afternoon as Joe Royle's side took a big step to winning their First Division play-offs semi-final against West Ham.
The teams meet again at Upton Park on Tuesday, with the Blues enjoying a one goal cushion and if they play as well as they did today they stand every chance of reaching the play-off final in Cardiff on May 29.
The Ipswich back four played magnificently to keep a rare clean sheet at a most opportune time while Jim Magilton and Jermaine Wright in particular impressed in midfield.
The Hammers looked dangerous on occasions but Kelvin Davis only needed to make one serious save with Town fans able to enjoy their weekend after a truly pulsating game with Ipswich forgetting the nerves of last week and proving their pedigree for a Premiership place.
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 4 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
- 8 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 9 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
- 10 35 more of Suffolk’s oldest surnames – is yours on the list?
John McGreal went off towards the end but hopefully will be available for Tuesday on an afternoon when Bent's goal was the icing on the cake to crown a memorable afternoon.