Bergholt win scrappy encounter
SOCCER: East Bergholt 4 Woodbridge 2. This game was a familiar sight at this time of year played on a hard pitch in spring-like conditions and with nothing on it, a strong wind made the game very scrappy.
East Bergholt 4 Woodbridge 2
This game was a familiar sight at this time of year played on a hard pitch in spring-like conditions and with nothing on it, a strong wind made the game very scrappy.
The home side took the lead when Phillips headed home a deep cross from Howell. Athletic fought back well and after Andrews had blocked another effort from Broom, Calver lobbed home with supreme confidence from 25 yards.
However their joy was short lived when just before half-time Gedny bundled home from close range.
The second period got off to a poor start with both teams struggling to play football and long breaks in the game for niggly fouls. Gedny and an Athletic player got booked after one long stoppage and then N Dixon was sent off for an off-the-ball incident.
On the hour a good ball from Grogan sent Jorgensen free and as he went to cross the ball came off his shin and looped into the goal. This fired life back into Woodbridge and Stewart pulled one back with a sublime chip from 15 yards.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 3 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 4 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 5 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 6 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 7 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 10 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
Three minutes from time, Bergholt allayed any fears of a further Woodbridge comeback. After an earlier attack Green had been left injured in his penalty area so when Mongan was released he was in acres of space and on-side to pick a perfect cross for Percy who headed home to give the home side the three points.