Bird blow for Witches
IPSWICH are resigned to losing Danny Bird, right, for the rest of the season after the 24-year-old has been told that he needs a shoulder operation.Fellow floater Paul Pickering, who rides for Stoke in the Premier League, has been named in the Witches' side for their three meetings next week - at Eastbourne and Poole on Monday and Wednesday and at home to Eastbourne on Thursday.
By Elvin King
IPSWICH are resigned to losing Danny Bird, right, for the rest of the season after the
24-year-old has been told that he needs a shoulder operation.
Fellow floater Paul Pickering, who rides for Stoke in the Premier League, has been named in the Witches' side for their three meetings next week - at Eastbourne and Poole on Monday and Wednesday and at home to Eastbourne on Thursday.
But he is suffering from a twisted knee and will not confirm his availability to make his Ipswich debut until after he has ridden for Stoke at the weekend.
If Pickering pulls out then squad members Garry Stead and Trevor Harding will come into the equation. However, if they are unavailable, Ipswich can then use a Premier League guest with an average not over nine.
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 4 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 8 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 9 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 10 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
“Danny has dropped down from third in our averages in July to fifth in the August Green Sheet averages,” said Witches' team manager Mike Smillie today.
“Garry Stead has plenty of top flight experience if needed, while we will have plenty of scope if we have to dip into the Premier League for a guest.
“Danny has been told he will need four or five weeks rest after his operation, and that could take him into October. We are still confident of a high finish in the Sky Bet Elite League table.”
Bird sustained his shoulder injury riding for Reading at Glasgow two weeks ago.
“It's a nightmare,” he said. “I've been told the bone in the shoulder is two inches too high and needs screwing back. I've also ripped ligaments over the top of the shoulder. It all needs fixing.
“At the moment I'm trying to get the operation sorted out but I don't know when it will be yet. Hopefully I'll be back before the season ends, but we'll have to see.”