Blind Terri scoops black belt
BLIND Terri Sawkins has completed a remarkable feat – she has achieved a black belt in Korean martial arts.The 45-year-old has been training in Kuk Sool Won for four years and has not let her disability hold her back.
By Georgina James
BLIND Terri Sawkins has completed a remarkable feat – she has achieved a black belt in Korean martial arts.
The 45-year-old has been training in Kuk Sool Won for four years and has not let her disability hold her back.
Together with other Ipswich club members, Daren Ramsey, Marie Ward and Mark Smith, Terri was presented with her black belt by the founder grandmaster from Korea.
In order to pass, the quartet had to learn 226 techniques.
Before the ceremony, the Ipswich club took part in the UK championships in Norwich and competed against 45 other teams.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 3 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 4 Investigation ongoing after huge blaze rips through land near Ipswich
- 5 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 6 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next weekend
- 7 'I'm so proud' - Jimmy's Farm scoops three prestigious awards
- 8 Ipswich machete attack was 'gang related', court hears
- 9 Laptop, phone and wallet stolen from car in village near Ipswich
- 10 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
Ipswich came fifth overall, winning 37 medals – 15 gold, 11 silver, six bronze and five copper.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR