Blind Terri scoops black belt
BLIND Terri Sawkins has completed a remarkable feat – she has achieved a black belt in Korean martial arts.The 45-year-old has been training in Kuk Sool Won for four years and has not let her disability hold her back.
By Georgina James
BLIND Terri Sawkins has completed a remarkable feat – she has achieved a black belt in Korean martial arts.
The 45-year-old has been training in Kuk Sool Won for four years and has not let her disability hold her back.
Together with other Ipswich club members, Daren Ramsey, Marie Ward and Mark Smith, Terri was presented with her black belt by the founder grandmaster from Korea.
You may also want to watch:
In order to pass, the quartet had to learn 226 techniques.
Before the ceremony, the Ipswich club took part in the UK championships in Norwich and competed against 45 other teams.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Ipswich came fifth overall, winning 37 medals – 15 gold, 11 silver, six bronze and five copper.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR