Blues do it for Dale
IN TONIGHT'S GREEN 'UNIPSWICH TOWN 3, SHEFFIELD UNITED 2IPSWICH Town produced the sort of performance today that would have made Dale Roberts, the former assistant manager who died this week, really proud.
IN TONIGHT'S GREEN 'UN
IPSWICH TOWN 3, SHEFFIELD UNITED 2
IPSWICH Town produced the sort of performance today that would have made Dale Roberts, the former assistant manager who died this week, really proud.
Throughout the 46 years of his life, Roberts was a battler both on and off the field and the Blues showed such qualities today to come back and achieve a victory over Sheffield United that looked like an impossible dream.
Joe Royle's side had Pablo Counago sent off early on and they went behind just before the interval as Peter Ndlovu scored.
Early in the second-half Dean Windass made it 2-0 – and the writing looked on the wall for Town.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 3 'My darling boy' - Mum's tribute to six-month-old baby who died after crash
- 4 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 5 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 6 60 year old family business enters third generation
- 7 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 8 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 9 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 10 Seven arrested after two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
Remarkably, the ten men got the better of the 11 of Sheffield in a big way.
Darren Bent got the ball rolling in the 58th minute and Darren Ambrose levelled in the 76th minute.
Darren Bent, who celebrated his 19th birthday on Thursday, made it 3-2 three minutes from the end.
What a remarkable performance it was from an Ipswich side who came back against the odds. They had lost 4-3 at Sheffield United a fortnight ago after coming from 3-0 down to draw level.
This result more than made up for it.
For a full match report, pictures and analysis see tonight's Green 'Un